Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Need help ID'ing a frame

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:44 PM
chopped shovel
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help ID'ing a frame

hey guys-

looking for a help ID'ing a bike fram that i'm thinking about buying. it's a hardtail frame that has a title, but it's a 10 digit number with no letters in it. the wisconsin title that comes with the frame has the bike listed as a '96 Harley, and has a note on it stating that it is a replica. the engine cases are Delkrons, so there's no factory info. on there. the SN stamped on the frame is 1310230XXX. i've left the last three digits off as i'm fairly sure that those are just for sequencing. any ideas on what the hell this thing is? even though i've seen the title and feel like it's legit., i wanna make sure that everything is kosher before i shell out my hard earned bread because it seems to me that a post-1970 should have a 17 digit SN, especially since the bike is titled as a '96. any and all help is appreciated.

thanks in advance,

-robert

Old 03-29-2010, 08:20 PM
BowdoinMachine
Banned

Nothing jives at all Robert. Harley Davidson did not ever make a hard tail frame with a serial number on it. I suspect its an aftermarket frame with the manufacturers assigned serial number. If the number on the frame matches the title then this shouldnt be a problem in most states. I think most states would however consider this a "home built" or "special construction" motorcycle and not a Harley Davidson. Harder to get insurance too......Bill

Old 03-29-2010, 08:29 PM
chopped shovel
4th Gear

thanks for the help, bill.

your thoughts are about the same as mine. i'm positive that the bike was built as a "special" even though the title does list the make as an H-D. either way, the frame is an aftermarket for sure.

anybody have any ideas about using that serial number to find out who the manufacturer might have been?

thanks again,

-robert

Old 03-29-2010, 11:40 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Post a photo of the frame. Some one should be able to identify the manufacturer.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:20 AM
1956boy
Banned

Yes, post a picture of the bike that shows the neck and the rear axle plates. Unless it's something really unique, it can be identified by manufacturer easy enough.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:53 AM
chopped shovel
4th Gear

hey guys-

i posted the only (crappy cell phone) picture that i have here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/membe...-frame-id.html

the neck is not a casting like the early factory frames had. it's hard to see the axle plates in this picture, but they are flat and the axle ends are exposed, not covered like on a lot of frames.

any ideas?

thanks,

-robert

Old 03-30-2010, 10:57 AM
chopped shovel
4th Gear
Default One more thing...

guys-

once again, the ID # stamped on the frame is 1310230XXX. i posted that in my original thread, but i included it here closer to the picture in case anybody missed it in the original post.

thanks,

-robert

Old 03-30-2010, 06:37 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,296 Likes on 1,507 Posts

My first thought would be Paughco, but I am not sure if they stamp them. Thinking from 96 how many custom frame builders there were. Maybe do that and make a few calls would get you the right builder?

I like your 'working man's' garage.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:49 PM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay,this sounds normal as it is titled as a Harley Davidson Replica (not a Factory Built Harley).For all real purposes it is a HomeBuilt Bike and is no way a factory bike.
Many of the aftermarket bikes (home built) had been titled that way in Wisconsin during that time period.You can take all the numbers off the frame you want and they wont tell you ****.The same goes for all the cases as well.Now with having said that how we actually got the titles then was to take all the receipts and I mean lots & lots of them to the State,they would look closley at the MSO for the frame,Engine,tranny and the reciepts for the rest of the parts.If all was good you had left with a Tittle that stated H-D Replica !

Old 03-30-2010, 09:10 PM
chopped shovel
4th Gear
Default Thanks for the leads...

hey guys-

thanks for the input. my guess was that it might be a paughco and that seems to agree w/ what some of you guys think. i'm gonna send them an e-mail tonight and see if anyone over there can give me some feedback.

i agree w/ the input that there is nothing truly H-D about this bike except for the general notion of it. the frame is clearly aftermarket and the engine cases being delkron and top end being S&S are clearly not from the factory.

after i run the numbers by paughco i'll let you guys know what i find out.

thanks again,

-robert

Quick Reply: Need help ID'ing a frame