Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

suicide is painless.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 02:32 PM
lowlife801
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suicide is painless.....

....well almost. i've seen a lot of people on here asking about suicide clutch and jockey shift. all i keep seeing is people saying where to buy bolt on crap. so in the spirit of a shovel rider. i built a suicide clutch and a jockey shift for under $20.

i'll give a quick rundown of what i did. and if theres any interest i'll post up some "how to" pics.

i started off with a broken clutch cable that got me thinking. routed it through the hole behing my primary around the bottom up thru the front and into the housing. it fit perfectly. i took the cable to a shop and had a 5/16" eyelet installed on the end.

next i bent a piece of welding rod the way i wanted the shifter to sit. shifted the bike and made sure there was good clearance. next i took a piece of 1/8" steel placed it up against the linkage and marked it with a sharpy.

bought some rod at home depot, stuck it in a vice and heated the sum' bitch til it moved free. bent it till it matched my rod exactly. then double checked it on the bike. i cut the steel plate down so there was about a half inch more than i needed on each side. held them together (wearing gloves of course) and tacked the rod into place so it fit tight against the linkage. marked the hole with a sharpy and drilled it. installed the lever and tacked a small allen wrench to the steel (tight against the other side of the linkage). to take away any freeplay. then welded a threaded end onto the shifter.

next to install the cable. take your cable and route it thru the bike again. i used a carburatot bracked to hold the end on the pedal. but if you get a piece of steel heat it bend it and drill it. it'd be the same thing. my carburator braket just happened to be the perfect length. i hope it goes without saying, that your shift linkage should be off by now. put the cable though your bracket (i used a die grinder to notch out an opening for the cable to slide through the top). and set it on the bolt between your cylinders on the case. put the bolt through the eyelet and into your pedal. make sure everything is level, and tighten all your bolts. *** i had to re position my pedal in order to get good pressure on it. only about 30 degrees or so. sit on your bike start 'er up. and be prepared to stall it a few times. then have fun!

Old 02-27-2010, 10:59 PM
lowlife801
Intermediate

haha guess no one's interested.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:03 PM
lrays280z
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know much about them, but my 68 year old dad always talks about the Harley that he had in the 60s that had one. I'd like to try one out one day.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:34 AM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice write up I built an extended clutch arm out of a 17mm socket and a fence post latch. No cable needed.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:49 PM
lowlife801
Intermediate

sounds like a good idea lundee.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member

We'll see if it works. Just finished the tranny rebuild so need to check the top end and she'll ready to go back together.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:48 PM
paolo4930
5th Gear

suicide is not a good thing. If any obstacle arises try to solve them. Don't take a bad step like suicide.

________
Karndean Flooring

Old 03-04-2010, 11:50 PM
fxd650
Cruiser

you know its only truly a suicide clutch, shifter set up in there is no front brake, right?

Old 03-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member

Ya ya we know most don't, I hate expaining the diffrence between a jockey and a suicide.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:55 AM
shiftless
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fxd650
you know its only truly a suicide clutch, shifter set up in there is no front brake, right?
realy??

Ya ya we know most don't, I hate expaining the diffrence between a jockey and a suicide.

Tell it again, I just love hearing you talk.....

Quick Reply: suicide is painless.....