Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Old OEM Shovel parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 05:44 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old OEM Shovel parts

This is mostly a post of never give up finding that OEM part,
please I am not saying every OEM part Harley makes is the best,
like brake calibers damn they needed help in that, until the ’84 shovel
came out (and the last one) IMO was the best on any shovel and still are
today very good.

What I am talking about is the solenoid starter it’s pretty hard to beat the
harley OEM part very well built and made in the USA, my experience was
last year, I hit the starter button, “click” just one, not click, click, etc. so odds
have it not a weak battery, it started in a minute or two, saw Accel in J&P
I see two listed these are approx prices, one import $45 made in Japan, one made in the USA $65, I brought the high price one, when it came I wasn’t impressed next to the OEM side by side so I went to my local HD dealer had one, its an old dealer.

Well he didn’t have an OEM but he had this Accel one for $45, I took it came home and compare them both, the one from harly was made overseas it look to the tee like the one I got made in the US from J&P, whats this bull ? ok, I took the Harley one backput in the other one, after a while the same thing started, one click no start, wait 2 mins it starts ? sometimes it started right away about 60 to 40% of the time ?

Ok, I have a very heavy draw starter when I did the re-build I put in an “all-*****” starter the size is smaller but has twice the output stock or OEM has approx .7kw the all-***** has 1.4Kw, a clamp on the solenoid side has approx 224 amps of draw, ok, I had problem starting with my older OEM solenoid, but didn’t give it a chance to get worst, I wanted a harley OEM solenoid, that wasn’t easy the last shovel as we know here was ’84, 26 yrs ago.

NOS Harley parts didn’t have one, but this place in Holland did, but the bastards will not ship to the USA ? check this out the price was 200 EUR’s and get this 19% TAX ??? so on the web once more a HD dealer in Ohio, I e-mail didn’t have one it was “obsolete” well we all here know that : - )) but this person did a look up on Harley dealers list for the part number 71473-77B and he gave me about 6 names across the US, hit at Brandt's Harley-Davidson in Wabash, IN in the biz since ’49, they had two !!!

I didn’t even ask him how much : - )), he told me after add it up to ship, $93 and that was 10% off for the hog thing, I seem to remember some years back I brought a OEM solenoid from harley I think back then over 10 yrs ago was up to almost $60, away it came yesterday and I am happy !! if you want an OEM part for that shovel don’t give up, just find a dealer that has been in the biz for a long time : - ))

ride safe…

cj

Attached Thumbnails Old OEM Shovel parts-hd-solenoid-2010-1-web.jpg  
Old 02-09-2010, 10:18 AM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 637 Likes on 325 Posts

hell, good find!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:17 AM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

“d_slat”
“hell, good find! “

Hey d,
Glad to here from you, yeah it was lucky.

Man check out your site !!!!!
That is really nice, well go through it

Ride safe,

cj

Old 02-10-2010, 10:15 AM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, it sure was a lucky Day for You ! I wonder about the starter draw being at 224 amps when the specs from HD state that it should be no more than 100 amps.This could be causing your soleniod problems.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:49 AM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

“Damn, it sure was a lucky Day for You ! I wonder about the starter draw being at 224 amps when the specs from HD state that it should be no more than 100 amps.This could be causing your soleniod problems.”

Yeah it was considering that part is almost 30 years old : - )))

Remember an OEM HD starter is approx . 7Kw the all-***** is 1.4 Kw, double, all I can tell you is that was taken by a Fluke 79-3 meter with a Fluke i400 current clamp, readings taken after I installed a Odyssey battery reading taken right on the (new) cable from battery to solenoid (after was the same), had the spark plug wires grounded together took two readings, I read somewhere that a general draw for a stock HD was in the area of + or – 80 to 100 amps, your right 224 dose sound high, I was thinking it should be (base on the power of the starter) at least 180 amps, the only thing I will do is to take another reading this spring.

Believe me I bet the Accel solenoid is most likely ok for a stock set up, but I have a little bit more going than stock, new engine, heavier drawing starter and lots of battery, but who knows you may have that point, I don’t close the door on no ideas : - )))

Ride safe,

cj