Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

wrecked shovelhead

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:55 PM
ohioguy
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrecked shovelhead

Hello everyone, Just picked up a wrecked 84fxwg shovelhead. This is my first Harley. I have rebuilt a 76 honda cb750 but couldnt resist the urge to get a Harley. I plan on rebuilding the engine and using it in a custom build. Is there anything specific I should pay attention to??

Old 01-03-2010, 09:11 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,345 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Wrecked meaning???????. Have any history on the bike, particularly the motor? Mid-78 they switched to unleaded valves but most AMF-era bikes unless low milages, stock and in pristine condition have been converted over.

Since you are going to use it in a custom build I would be inclined to split the case. You are basically starting from scratch anyway...right?

Best thing is to get a manual (I prefer OEM but others have their own viewpoint) so that you have a basic understanding of a shovelhead motor. Lots of folks here can help out and give you ideas and thoughts as you go.

Nothing like old pans and shovels...no disrespect to the evo or pre-pan riders intended.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:57 PM
78fxs78
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need to keep the cost down, I wouldn't split the cases, I'd leave it alone or have someone check the lower end over. If you split the cases there isn't much you can do your self anyway without the right tools. If you don't have any history on the bike I'd pull the heads and jugs and have those gone over (by some who knows Shovels). If the Title isn't clear from being in a wreck, you may have trouble re-registering it or you may have to get a new frame with new numbers, depending on where you live.

Last edited by 78fxs78; 01-07-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:11 PM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What does wrecked mean,cosmetic damage or did the drive line get it too? The first thing I would do is try to start it and see what I have to work with.Did This project come with a tittle? You will need lots of paperwork even if it is a custom build.The State always want to know how and where the parts come from.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:43 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Since there were few years of belt drive Shovels some parts specific to those bikes with be hard to locate and be expensive. Few years built means little profit to the after-market suppliers so they haven't stepped in. You didn't say how badly wrecked or what was needed, so we don't have much to go on. Viewing other posts concerning the belt drive Shovels should be helpful.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:21 AM
hiwaytime
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 fxwg

Hey Ohioguy, you may not know it but you have a very rare HD there. The 84 FXWG and FLH are the only old style swing arm frames that will take a EVO or a Shovel motor. When that bike was ordered, it came with either an EVO or a shovel motor. It was the last year of the old style swing arm frame. That bike is an historical piece of Harley evolution because those were the years of transition from Shovel to EVO and 4spd to 5 spd trans. A good match to that bike is the 84 soft tail, it was an Evo with a 4spd trans. The first softtail and only 4spd ST ever made. Are you getting the picture? I am a purest and I would like to see that bike restored to the way it was built, they were good looking bikes and in 84 they were what everyone wanted. They are also the perfect example of Harley Davidson going to Sturgis to see what we were doing and than going back home and copying US!!! I remember red ones but the best looking was the black with flames on the tank out of the factory. The 80 inch shovel motor in that bike was a good motor and if it is OK, I would advise to not touch it unlees you have to. A good rebuild for that motor is the 86 inch S&S hot kit. I know 6 inchs doesn't sound like much but it will give a lot more power and will be just as dependable as the original and you don't have to bore the cases or replace the barrels. Just except the fact that you aren't going to get that bike to keep up with a 96-6spd and everything you do to try to keep up is only going to ruin what that bike is. You have a keeper there, enjoy it. Happy Trails

Old 07-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Streetscenes
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool working on one as well...more of a resto mod. If you need parts I have the number of someone in Ohio that has stock pile of Shoveled parts.

Have fun with the build.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:06 AM
Bent Wrench
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it was wrecked that means it was running, DO NOT take it apart.

Track record says it will never get reassembled if you do.

But then again if you take it apart I can buy it for less in a couple of years when you realize it is never going to see the road by your hand.

So Yeah take it apart. :^)

Fix the chassis and do the motor next year, if it needs it.

Hope you got a title for that.....
If not take care of that first.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:26 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,364 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by Bent Wrench
If it was wrecked that means it was running, DO NOT take it apart.

Track record says it will never get reassembled if you do.

But then again if you take it apart I can buy it for less in a couple of years when you realize it is never going to see the road by your hand.

So Yeah take it apart. :^)

Fix the chassis and do the motor next year, if it needs it.

Hope you got a title for that.....
If not take care of that first.
All of my thoughts and sentiments right there...