Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Spark plugs keep going bad

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 09:28 PM
fiveola
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No white smoke, but not super black either. I've ckd the exhaust ports and no oil. I've replaced the plugs and gave her a couple of kicks and now it seems to be running good again. I do believe the bike is running a bit rich and the plugs are fouling more often than it used to. 2 years ago I modified my shovel with drags w/ small baffles and a aftermarket air cleaner. With that said, do I need to change my jets or any components on the carb? Tuning seems to be a bit more difficult since the change.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:49 PM
ahab211
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like it might need to be put on a dynometer. Aftermarket changes might have thrown your mixture off. Good luck.

Last edited by ahab211; 11-29-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:52 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Black smoke is gas. So I would start with the carb, sounds like you are running rich.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:05 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

Do you have the instructions for installing and tuning the S$S? You can download them at SSCycles.com. Follow the instructions and you should be OK. We can tell you to lean it on the main, fatten it on the intermediate, bump your air bleeds, yada yada yada, but we may be taking you in the wrong direction. Check everything as per the instructions for installation.
http://www.sscycle.com/admin/uploads...ns/51-1012.pdf

You said you changed the air cleaner. Did that include the teardrop cover and backplate? The S$S Carb works the best with their cover. It has a built in airhorn to direct air into the carb. If you changed from the air filter S$S provided to, lets say, a K&N, this could cause a rich condition, because the K&N is more restrictive than the provided cleaner. The K&N is a great air cleaner, you just have to tune to it. I hear though, that S&S uses K&N now. I'm just guessing.

Last edited by AlCherry; 11-30-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:20 PM
fiveola
Advanced

Thanks Al. Yes I do have the S&S carb tuning instructions. I suspect that since i went from the S&S tear drop to a chopper style (see attachment) that this maybe one of the causes of being rich - (hahaha) carb only and in spirit too. This new aircleaner looks pretty open. I think the S&S will be a bit more restrictive. I'll try a switch back to the old one and see what happens. I've never fussed w/ the jets b4 but maybe this is the way to go if i want to keep the new aircleaner on. Never too old to learn a new trick.

Attached Thumbnails Spark plugs keep going bad-66x1.jpg  
Old 12-07-2009, 07:04 AM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My shovel that I have owned for 22 years does not like champion plugs. Champion plugs were marginal, at best, after a fresh top end rebuild. After the bike had a few thousand miles on it Champions would start fouling within 300 miles. Other brands would last thousands. Expensive plugs were not worth the money either. Try different brands til you find the one your shovel likes. My bike has the same S&S as yours, but it still has the S&S ccover.

Last edited by U-234; 12-07-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:37 AM
fiveola
Advanced

Thanks U-234. I agree with regards to the Champions. I'm going try different plugs - Bosch and see what happens. I've also returned the to the stock air filter cover and it does see easier to tune. I'll keep you posted.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:46 AM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I guess every motor is a little different. I've owned my shovel for 36 years and have tried other plugs, Bosch, NGK etc. But in the end I've always gone back to Champion. I found a supply of J12Y plugs and they have been giving me good service. I run points so I don't use RJ12Y which seemed to foul easily.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 AM
fiveola
Advanced

thanks Filthy for the input. I guess each bike is like a woman. She knows what turns her on and keeps her going.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:20 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

My bet on the culprit is the air cleaner. It doesn't take much restriction to foul plugs. I spent a whole summer scratching my head and changing plugs on my pan before because of an air filter.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs keep going bad