Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

More Blonde Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009 | 04:52 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master

Originally Posted by rbonner
First just looking at the original three pics the one showing the swing arm bolt SCREWED into the frame and not ending with a nut says the frame is 1973 or later.

Since the FL/FX frame can be either a bagger or superglide, it's up to you to make it anything you want. I suppose they ground the serial off the motor case too, so that's a no go also.

There's some differences in swingarms that will help determine stuff, and if that's the original engine the date codes up on the top of the heads will tell you when it was made.

BOB
Bob, the frame is older than 70. Look at the flat toped extensions on the swingarm mounts. On pre 65 models these were the mounts for the battery box/oil tank mount. They were deleted by 1970. My 65,67 and 68 frames do not use the swingarm bolt nut.

Old 11-21-2009 | 05:16 PM
rbonner
Stage III

Originally Posted by FilthyLucre
Bob, the frame is older than 70. Look at the flat toped extensions on the swingarm mounts. On pre 65 models these were the mounts for the battery box/oil tank mount. They were deleted by 1970. My 65,67 and 68 frames do not use the swingarm bolt nut.
HUM, FL... let me get back to you on this detail. My frame is at the powder coater right now, should have it back early in the week. The Motor Company did some really bizarre things back in the olden days.

I think at this point the first thing is to figure out if this old girl started life as an FL or FX, obviously the FX didn't get invented until 71... From the limited pics we could be going either way. BUt the bolt is the way I always dated them. I'm an FX guy not an earlier FL guy.

How about this? The next test is: If they have ground off SERIAL NUMBERS on the neck before restamping it is definately a 1970 or later bike, 1969 and older had no serial number on the neck.... It was all engine serials at that point.

If looking close at the neck, if there is no grinding, just stamping then it is 69 or earlier; does that sound right?

BOB

Last edited by rbonner; 11-21-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-21-2009 | 10:54 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master

Originally Posted by rbonner
HUM, FL... let me get back to you on this detail. My frame is at the powder coater right now, should have it back early in the week. The Motor Company did some really bizarre things back in the olden days.

I think at this point the first thing is to figure out if this old girl started life as an FL or FX, obviously the FX didn't get invented until 71... From the limited pics we could be going either way. BUt the bolt is the way I always dated them. I'm an FX guy not an earlier FL guy.

How about this? The next test is: If they have ground off SERIAL NUMBERS on the neck before restamping it is definately a 1970 or later bike, 1969 and older had no serial number on the neck.... It was all engine serials at that point.

If looking close at the neck, if there is no grinding, just stamping then it is 69 or earlier; does that sound right?

BOB
No VIN or ground down number boss it is definately 68 or earlier. Late 69 models, may have a blank VIN pad. The motor number is still the VIN. The MOCO incorporated changes to their castings prior to introducing them. Example my 68 neck has a undrilled area that in 69 and later will become where they drill it for the neck lock for the owner supplied lock. The 1962 heads had an unmachined area that in 63 became the outside oiler fitting location. As far as the swingarm bolt and nut. I believe that the factory offered a longer pivot bolt as a repair item for a stripped threaded hole and the nut secured it. Thinking back I once had a drop seat frame 58-64 and that used the standard pivot with no nut also. My 72 also had the standard pivot and no nut. I know the manual says the nut was used from 58 to 72 but I've never seen one used unless the threads are stripped out.

There are tells on most frames to give you an idea when they were made whether they still have the vin or not. The flat areas on the swing arm mount. The brake hose fitting for the drum brakes on the left down tube. It was present until at least 73. The single hole square passenger mount on the rear down tubes for 75-76. The double hole mounts for 77 and later. The missing floorboard and brake mount tabs on the 77 FX frames, built in key locks for the 58-68 frames.etc.

Old 11-23-2009 | 02:01 PM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain

Sissy, I agree your frame was manufactured in late-1967. The letter J may represent October but it may represent September. At certain times, the letter I was omitted from some engine and transmission casting date codes and I'm still investigating whether that omission applied to the stamped-on frame date codes.

In your photo below you'll notice there is no reinforcement gusset plate attached forward of the left rear downtube and and lower casting section. H-D introduced the gusset as standard fitment for late-1968 and later although it was available as repair part #47261-68 for Big Twin frames back through 1958. Therefore, it seems your frame was manufactured in either October or September 1967 and is an early-1968 model.

In your photo you'll also notice a casting number in the recess of the lower rear right-hand casting section and it may be 47651-58. In the corresponding area of the lower rear left-hand casting section you may find 47653-58. Can you please tell us what casting numbers you find.

The -58 indicates those two sections were first used for 1958 and I believe the same casting numbers were used through 1972. Some changes to the castings occurred for 1973 and they then received casting numbers ending in -73. More frame info to follow. Eric

Old 11-23-2009 | 02:21 PM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain

On the left side of your frame steering head you may find extra ID stamped and if present it may consist of a capital letter followed by either three or four numeric characters. But they are small and may be hard to spot. The picture below shows B5 as the first two of five such characters on a 1963 frame and will give you an idea where to look. If you find anything in that area of your frame just tell us what the letter is.

If your swingarm is genuine H-D then it will be 1973 or later due to it being square tube. (H-D Big Twins used a round tube swingarm for 1958-1972.) Eric

Old 11-23-2009 | 02:29 PM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain

Quote from post #9: 'First just looking at the original three pics the one showing the swing arm bolt SCREWED into the frame and not ending with a nut says the frame is 1973 or later.’ Bob

Bob, I have a genuine 1958–1964 type H-D Panhead frame here and also a genuine 1982 H-D Shovelhead frame. Neither of them use the nut you referred to. And I have had other genuine H-D Shovelhead frames over the years. None of them used the nut you referred to.

Please advise exactly where you got your info from. Eric

Old 11-24-2009 | 06:35 AM
Sissy69
|
Advanced
Default Like Wow

I didn't think finding out the year of my frame could be so interesting. One more time, with feeling, the only numbers on the FrankenBike [beside theJ7] are on the neck and the lower right hand casting section...

NM 81959 [rebuilt title]

Y'all know enough about frames and numbers to write a book but I guess the controversy has not been solved. So I will post some more pix here and if there is a view that I don't have, please let me know and I will take some more.
Thanks as always,

Attached Thumbnails More Blonde Questions...-forward-controls-gear-shift-and-kick-stand-.jpg   More Blonde Questions...-pictures-5-26-005.jpg   More Blonde Questions...-100_1171.jpg   More Blonde Questions...-100_1172.jpg   More Blonde Questions...-100_1579.jpg  

Last edited by Sissy69; 11-24-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-24-2009 | 04:00 PM
Pälli
Banned
Smile Pälli

Brave girl... Rarely woman have not enough courage open and rebuild Shovel engine.. Thanks God it is quite simple engine.. I have also Shovel. I do not rebuild my own engine myselt but former owner. I only regulate it ready.
I have also engine repair just now but not Harleys.. Damn it is more difficult than old simple Shovel..
Good luck.. Shovel have perhaps best Harley voice.. Do not give you frame number here because some malicious peoples perhaps stole it..

Last edited by Pälli; 11-24-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-25-2009 | 07:58 AM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain

Quote: 'I didn't think finding out the year of my frame could be so interesting. One more time, with feeling, the only numbers on the FrankenBike [beside theJ7] are on the neck and the lower right hand casting section...'

Sissy, I'm still of the opinion that your frame is an early-1968 model manufactured in late-1967. But I would like to clear up a couple of things which is why I asked about the casting numbers in the recesses of the two lower rear cast sections. In your photo below I can see what appears to be a casting number in the recess of the left-hand casting section and it looks to consist of seven characters. Can you tell me what those characters are please. Eric

Old 11-25-2009 | 09:31 AM
Sissy69
|
Advanced
Default If at first you don't succeed, find someone else to do it!

Thanks Eric, that's my son's name, so you must be COOL! And thank you so much for helping me. As a matter of fact, you are right. It looks like those were the old numbers that were not completely removed before the rebuilt numbers were applied.

So I left my snuggly warm computer chair and went out to see for myself if there was more I could find out. And sure enough after some shivering [25 degrees out now. wa-wa] Here is a picture revealing what looks to me like 83 or 85 or......

But it also looked like they did a good job of mangling the rest. Look forward to your opinion.
Thanks Sis

Attached Thumbnails More Blonde Questions...-old-shovel-numbers.jpg  

Quick Reply: More Blonde Questions...