Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

79 Shovel Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:14 PM
dyna_man05
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 79 Shovel Help

Hi to all. I need some help as the title implies. I have inherited a no kidding (in actual baskets) basket case a buddy of mine had before he passed on. Here is what I know. The engine is a shovel and judging from the numbers on it, a late model '79. The numbers on it are:

Some serial numbers I believe
12 - 79

The frame is hard tail and I am pretty sure it is custom because I can't find any numbers on it. It has dual tanks and a 4 speed tranny with kicker. Chain driven of course.

I know I can fix this thing (the engines jugs are off as well as the cam cover) but I need a manual, a good one. Because of where it has been sitting and the hands it has changed, I know already there are some rings and such missing and, obviously I don't know all the tolerances and such.

So if anybody can help me ID the model specific (if possible) or at least point me in the right direction for obtaining the proper and reliable manual for at least the engine, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again in advance. And if you need some questions answered, please let me know and I will be as prompt at possible.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:06 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,520 Posts

VIN# L78 to 1980...VIn stamped on the right side of the engine crankcase (look in front of the lifter blocks), right side of the frame and on a label on the right front frame downtube. It consists of a model code, serial number, manufacturer ID (78/79 used and H; 80 and later used the letter J) and model year.

VIN# 81 and later used the full 17 digit number stamped on the steering head and on a label on the down tube. An abbreviated VIN is stamped on the right side engine crankcase.

There are 18 different possibilities for you. How about a photo or post the numbers (email if you want) and I can tell you what the bike started life as.

The numbers you posted....where did you find them on the bike? frame? jugs? tranny?

MoCo stopped makiing gigid frame models in '57 so you got one thing for sure, frame doeas not go with the bike. Whether it is an original rigid frame depends on a lot of things. Again pic would help.

Seems like you own a mutt. Lots of us do and couldn't be happier.

Get a OEM manual for the year of the motor once you have properly identified it. Guys also use Clymers or a combination of the two.

Big thing is to take your time putting it back together. Try to do as much work as you are capable of and recognize your limitations.

There are a lot of folks with a lot of opinions and knowledge to go with it.

Seems like you inherited a good thing. Build it and ride the **** out of it.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:20 PM
d_slat
Road Warrior
Received 637 Likes on 325 Posts

pm sent

Old 08-24-2009, 12:43 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Pick up the parts manual for your model also. It will show exploded drawings and all parts for an assembly. As Mentioned above the VIN is on both the motor and Stock Frame. An example of a 79 VIN would be 2A12345H9 which would be an FLH model. You may have aftermarket cases and probably an aftermarket frame. Post some pictures of the frame and motor and someone here will be able to identify it. If you don't have a title it will be quite of bit of work to get it registered. Check with your DMV on what you have to do to get a builders title before you sink any money into the project.

Old 08-24-2009, 01:33 PM
dyna_man05
Intermediate

Thanks for the help guys. Things I should have mentioned; 1) the number came off of the jugs. 2) there are more numbers on the crank case, I don't have them here, but when I get home tonight I will get them and post them with pics of engine and frame.

Thanks again guys.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:57 PM
dyna_man05
Intermediate
Default Pictures and numbers

Alright guys, here's the pic's as promised. as for the numbers, the original numbers I posted where on the jug. They were 16707 80 12-79

On the crankcase on the outside I found three sets of numbers. the first one is 7638158J0.
I found it on the outside top right hand side near the bottom of where the push rods sit.

The second set was on the outside bottom left and on the inside at about the 2 o'clock position from the cam, number 480028127.

the third was on the outside bottom right, K478.

I know the engine has been worked on, besides it being apart, because of the S&S flywheel arms (sorry, having a brain fart on my parts terminology). But you can probably see that in the pictures.

As for the pics, the one with the frame was from the day I brought it all home. then there are the engine pics. Hope this helps

Attached Thumbnails 79 Shovel Help-the-begining.jpg   79 Shovel Help-034.jpg   79 Shovel Help-038.jpg   79 Shovel Help-040.jpg   79 Shovel Help-the-enging-begining.jpg  

Old 08-24-2009, 07:31 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Take a look at the number on the right top crankcase again and see if it is 7G38158J0 instead of 7638158J0. A 7G would be a FXS 80 inch model. Originally from a 1980 Lowrider. The number inside and on the bottom confirm it is a 1980 model. These are crankcase assembly numbers and by matching confirm they came from the same engine and were machined as a pair. The numbers on the jugs are just casting numbers. Having S&S flywheels probably indicate it was built to be a stroker motor., ie longer piston stroke and probably larger bore. The frame is aftermarket. Since all motorcycles manufactured after 1970 are registered by frame numbers you will have to find the original title, or lacking that you will have to find the MSO, manufacturers statement of origin to register the bike. Check with your DMV to find what you need.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:12 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Take a look (as mentioned)..I 'll bet the 76 is actually a 7G which would indeed make it an FXS-80 superglide model. If you flip the cases over there are belly numbers as well. from the factory they match and can tell you the exact day your motor was put together at the factory.

Should look something like 1 75 - 001 002 (where 1 is model (FLH), 75 is year (yours should read 80) 001 is the Julian date (1 = Jan 1st; 365 = Dec 31st), and 002 is the sequential production numbers (probably three four? numerics depending on what day it came off the line)

Old 08-25-2009, 08:03 AM
dyna_man05
Intermediate

Well guys you are right. I miss read the numbers and it is a 7G, not 76, although it looks awefully close to 6. I also noticed on the inside of the case that the 480028127 actually has a 1 in front of it. At least it looks like a 1, I missed it initally because it looked like wear or something else. Or am I wrong again?

A big thanks to all with the help on this. With what you all have informed, I have figured (based on the fact there is a 1 in front of the numbers mentioned above) this engine started life, as you all have said, as a 1980 FXS Lowrider produced in Jan 1980. You guys already knew that This will definetly give me a big start in titling and all the other red tape I will have to go through.

The only question I really have now is what the letter/numbers K478 mean, if anything significant?

Big thanks again.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:33 PM
arturo
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just rebuilding my 4 speed tranny in my FLH76...I need some help.. When I tigth the sprocket the rear tire not move when is neutral....I did everithing...the spacer into the oil seal must be touch the sprocket chain? Please do someone help me?
I disasembling the banana caliper but no move (back and for) the rear....

Quick Reply: 79 Shovel Help