Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

changing fork seals on a 1974 fxe

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009 | 12:04 PM
1unclejojo
|
Cruiser
Default changing fork seals on a 1974 fxe

I was wondering if there is a simple trick to getting the seals out.I have read the manual and got nothing.I have removed the snap ring, washer,oil,and spring
I have changed some before .. and if I remember correctly,I had to get the seals out by slamming down the bottom tube.Thus pushing out the seal..is that the right way??
Any help would be appreciated

Old 08-06-2009 | 01:53 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

I know MoCo makes a hooked tool to get them out but I use a claw hammer and it works just fine. Just make sure that when you are prying you do not get metal to metal contact with the steel vs aluminum. Steel will dent/damage the top of the sliders. I use a rag or piece of wood between the hammer and slider when prying up.

Seals are pressed/tapped in until seated. Not sure that slamming them would be good for aluminum.

Old 08-06-2009 | 02:12 PM
tseek555
Road Master

I just did my 79 last weekend, big screw driver. just slipped it under the seal and a little pressure and they popped right out. if yours has the washer under the seal get between the seal and the washer and be carefull not to damage the washer, they will need to be reused..

Old 08-06-2009 | 11:18 PM
1unclejojo
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tseek555
I just did my 79 last weekend, big screw driver. just slipped it under the seal and a little pressure and they popped right out. if yours has the washer under the seal get between the seal and the washer and be carefull not to damage the washer, they will need to be reused..
Thanks for the advice.
I will give it a try.I thought they would be easier to free up.
Also didn't know if there was a screw/bolt on the bottom side of the fork.I will check later

Old 08-07-2009 | 01:45 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member

I've done the big screwdriver, it works. I also had a claw hammer of the roofing variety (straighter claw) with one claw broke off, worked real good. I have moved up to a seal puller, sort of a sheetmetal version of the claw hammer, available at auto parts stores for a few bucks.

Old 08-08-2009 | 07:01 AM
1unclejojo
|
Cruiser

Do you have to take the allen bolt out (bottom of tube) before you can get the upper tube out?
I am thinkin yes,but if not I would sure hate to do the extra work

Old 08-08-2009 | 01:32 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1unclejojo
Do you have to take the allen bolt out (bottom of tube) before you can get the upper tube out?
I am thinkin yes,but if not I would sure hate to do the extra work
Yes the allen bolt needs to be removed before the slider will come off. I believe it's a 6mm. The best way is to use a electric or air wrench. Otherwise it has a tendancy to just spin. Keep the top cap and springs attached before you remove the bolt.

Old 08-08-2009 | 03:41 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

What you should find as you take it apart...

Attached Thumbnails changing fork seals on a 1974 fxe-78-84-_fl-_fx_service.jpg  
Old 08-09-2009 | 05:27 PM
1unclejojo
|
Cruiser

Thanks for all the info. I got the bolt out of the bottom of the lower tube.Changed the seals and when to put the bolt back in...wouldn't tighten up all the way(it got tight but would still spin.a little).No oil leaks tho,so is it normal for the bolt to not tighten down all the way,I mean it is tight but could go maybe a quarter turn.But the damper will start to spin,keeping the bolt from being super snug.
Anyway it might all be a practice run.I seen that the previous owner put in a heli coil where one bolt goes for the axle cap.I don't think that it will work.When I had taken off the cap that bolt was loose.Not good when you only have 2 holding it on.

Old 08-10-2009 | 05:03 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master

It should be two studs, not bolts on the slider cap. Replace them with studs and use red locktight to keep them from moving.

Quick Reply: changing fork seals on a 1974 fxe