Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 07:42 AM
jdot
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring harness

I'm buiding a Bobber. I'm using Paughco Rigid frame, The Donor Bike is a '78 FXE Superglide, I've got everything dissambled my next step is ordering a new wiring harness and anything new/updated in the electrical system. I've never owned a Shovelhead before and would like to convert things that will make the bike dependable. I also want turn signals, I've seen some Chops that don't have them but I wouldn't feel safe without them. Any suggestions from a voice of experience?

Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't built from scratch in quite a few years, but thinking of completely redoing my shovel soon into an another old school chop. The last one I did had me chopping up the harness so much to get what I wanted, I think this time I will just create my own harness from scratch so it is done right from the start.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:45 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

It's not hard to wire your own. Find a wiring diagram that suits your needs. I don't know what kind of ignition switch or whether you have electric start or not. I use 14 ga wire for most circuits and crimp and solder all connections. When you buy wire get as many colors as you can to match the wiring diagram.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:22 AM
81shovelflh
2nd Gear

ahhhhhh, stupid question but please respond! whats the proper power down sequence for an 81 flh? i'm sure its the engine kill switch, but thats having a problem
cause when the kill switch is depressed, it starts to power down properly, but then the engine rolls over again? (not the best way to describe it, sorry!) anyway, its definitely something to do with the ignition circuit

Old 07-31-2009, 12:31 AM
FilthyLucre
Road Master

Originally Posted by 81shovelflh
ahhhhhh, stupid question but please respond! whats the proper power down sequence for an 81 flh? i'm sure its the engine kill switch, but thats having a problem
cause when the kill switch is depressed, it starts to power down properly, but then the engine rolls over again? (not the best way to describe it, sorry!) anyway, its definitely something to do with the ignition circuit
The kill switch cuts power to the coil, which cuts power to the plugs. I don't think the switch is the problem. It sounds like it is dieseling, running on by itself. This is usualing caused by low octane fuel or improper timing. Sometimes if the the piston is very carboned, the carbon can get hot enough to ignite the fuel without a spark.

Last edited by FilthyLucre; 07-31-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:06 PM
81shovelflh
2nd Gear

yeah, that sounds right i think the timing is off, plus the left side engine, carburater side valve stem is heavily carboned. off the subject, do you know what the proper oil temp for an 81 flh?, its not in any manual

Old 07-31-2009, 07:21 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master

Originally Posted by 81shovelflh
yeah, that sounds right i think the timing is off, plus the left side engine, carburater side valve stem is heavily carboned. off the subject, do you know what the proper oil temp for an 81 flh?, its not in any manual
Oil temperature is dependent on ambient temperature, how the bike is driven, weight of oil and whether you have an oil cooler. Most of mine run between 175 and 210 running 70 wt with oil coolers. I live in S. FL.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Ironworker777
Stage I

can any body tell me if a 77FLH can run with out the circuit breakers?and what harm it can couse if any?

Old 08-07-2009, 03:26 PM
81shovelflh
2nd Gear
Old 08-07-2009, 04:56 PM
FilthyLucre
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ironworker777
can any body tell me if a 77FLH can run with out the circuit breakers?and what harm it can couse if any?
If you have ever saw a bike short out and watch as your wiring harness melts in front of you while you despartely try to disconect the battery you will understand the benifit of circuit breakers.

Quick Reply: Wiring harness