Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Last 1984>First 1985 Shovelheads

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 01:31 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Damn...had no idea there was a compelte sub culture of guys stressing over 1984 shovelhead VIN#'s.

~Joe

The following 2 users liked this post by traveler:
Racepres (08-06-2021), trucker.speed (08-08-2021)
Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,341 Likes on 1,518 Posts

traveler, don't think folks are stressing so much as calling bull$**** on someone who posts a claim as the owner of the "last" shovel and there is proof positive to counter the statement. One only needs to go over to www.shovelhead.us

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (08-06-2021)
Old 01-10-2012, 09:44 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I got ya. I personally don't give a rats about that stuff. As long as it's titled and clear, I'm good.....but I understand that others may view it different.

~Joe

Old 03-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Yaggie
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1984 flhs

I have a 1984 FLHS Shovelhead vin# 1HD1AKK28EY066752 CAN YOU TELL ME IF ITS THE LAST SHOVELHEAD TO COME OFF THE PRODUCTION LINE?

Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post some Pics of it.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:53 AM
Jonas
Cruiser
Default 1984FLHS Video

I recently purchased a 1984FLHS with 11,000 miles. I also purchased a Harley Enthustist brocure from the Spring of 1984 . Here is the the write upbout the FLHS.

You're looking at the sport version of Harley Davidson's FLH. a motorcycle nudged off production lines by machines with rubber-isolated five speed power plants. This FLHS model is the final sport model using the rigidly mounted four-speed package.
The FLHS features a five gallon Fat Bob fuel tank, shorty duals. Super Glide style seat and handlebars, and Wide Glide style forward controls. For those interested in more technical details, there's a belt final drive, quartz halogen headlamp and dynamically balanced spoke wheels.

Colors: Black and Candy red

Only 500 of these machines will be built. in addition, a total of 1250 FLHX Special Edition Electra Glide will be distributed world wide. 1000 for US and Canada.

Here is mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2AJq...1&feature=plcp

Old 03-10-2012, 07:02 AM
Jonas
Cruiser

This is out of the Magazine. I made a few posters at office max and filed the magazine.

Attached Thumbnails Last 1984>First 1985 Shovelheads-flhsposter.jpg  
Old 04-07-2012, 08:56 AM
bwprailway
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Yaggie
I have a 1984 FLHS Shovelhead vin# 1HD1AKK28EY066752 CAN YOU TELL ME IF ITS THE LAST SHOVELHEAD TO COME OFF THE PRODUCTION LINE?
It isn't, but if you call HD's phone number on their website, and go through their menu, there's a department that can give you the date it was made, color, and the name of the dealer it was shipped to.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 PM
keith3516
2nd Gear
Default awesome thread

I have my dad's 1984 FLH Shovelhead in the garage. I'll be calling Harley to get the build date and whatever other info they have. He was the original owner and it was the last HD (or any motorcycle for that matter) he ever bought. It has a pile of miles and needs a good bit of work and a lot of the original pieces are missing. J&P seems like a good source for parts, but I'm looking to see if there are any others. Also, references to any technical papers or magazine articles on this bike would be a great help. My goal is to build it back to as close to original as possible. Any information would be appreciated. It still runs great by the way, but has a major blowby issue, so I'll be getting into the engine at some point. I couldn't care less if it was the last or not, but I can confirm it was part of a limited run - he was buddies with the owner of our local HD Dealer and my dad ordered it as soon as he found out there was going to be one last limited run of Shovels with newer belt drives. I'm hoping HD can confirm what number it was in that run - not that it really matters, but I am curious...Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:59 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,341 Likes on 1,518 Posts

Originally Posted by keith3516
I have my dad's 1984 FLH Shovelhead in the garage. I'll be calling Harley to get the build date and whatever other info they have. He was the original owner and it was the last HD (or any motorcycle for that matter) he ever bought. It has a pile of miles and needs a good bit of work and a lot of the original pieces are missing. J&P seems like a good source for parts, but I'm looking to see if there are any others. Also, references to any technical papers or magazine articles on this bike would be a great help. My goal is to build it back to as close to original as possible. Any information would be appreciated. It still runs great by the way, but has a major blowby issue, so I'll be getting into the engine at some point. I couldn't care less if it was the last or not, but I can confirm it was part of a limited run - he was buddies with the owner of our local HD Dealer and my dad ordered it as soon as he found out there was going to be one last limited run of Shovels with newer belt drives. I'm hoping HD can confirm what number it was in that run - not that it really matters, but I am curious...Thanks in advance for any assistance.
k...but where the heck are the pics? Man you are killing me. Absolutely great that you intend to get it running again. 84 had the FL series as a FLT, FLHT, FLH and FLHS models. They came in black (withe just a simple tank emblem) and then the special edition models were black with the gold striping and white with the gold striping. My understanding is that the majority for 84 were the special edition models.

Tom Murphy has published "Harley Davidson Shovelheads" kinda a pictorial history.

Also another shovel friendly place is www.shovelhead.us Great group with a lot of knowledge and technical expertise.

POST PICS PLEASE!

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (08-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Last 1984>First 1985 Shovelheads