Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

need more light

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 12:49 AM
Wallnut
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need more light

I know sealed beam headlights were all the rage back in the eighties, but I need more light. Should I be looking to put in a current head light assembly or should keep to lit streets at night??

C'mon guys throw out some ideas

Old 05-06-2009, 08:36 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

What amp stator are you running ?

Old 05-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Wallnut
Advanced

i have no idea, just bought the bike.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:25 PM
AlCherry
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 51 Posts

Convert it to Halogen. Theres no more draw on the stator, and it will light up your life. The conversion is available in most aftermarket mags.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:06 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Wallnut
I know sealed beam headlights were all the rage back in the eighties, but I need more light. Should I be looking to put in a current head light assembly or should keep to lit streets at night??

C'mon guys throw out some ideas

"Wallnut"
"I know sealed beam headlights were all the rage back in the eighties, but I need more light. Should I be looking to put in a current head light assembly or should keep to lit streets at night??
C'mon guys throw out some ideas"

"Convert it to Halogen" like Al stated it's night and day I remember when I first rode my new shovel down the road at night, it sucked big time, so back then I started to dig for info not like the web of today, I was lucky was in a m/c shop saw a bike mag with at least 15 night tests of Halogen lights, taken at night (yeah got to be good keeping the pics all fair and stuff) looked like they did a good job, I was drawn to a CIBI light housing the glass was cut real nice for the beam pattern, I got it inside of 2 weeks owning the bike, that crap of a sealed beam was gone, one tip I can share with you, forget those high power (off road only) type bulbs like 50/75 and up, I brought one some years back for a little extra light on high beam, I don't use the high beam as much so here it what happen, my light went out about 6 months later, I took the headlight out to re-place the bulb, I then notice the wiring plug to the headlight bulb, wires started to melt !!! and I hardly ever used the high beam ??? showed me how much current those "off road" bulbs really draw !! stick with the legal ones is my advice.

Man lose that sealed beam !

I use too love to ride at night ! now with all the suburban sprawl more deer are running across the roads at night like crazy, I limit my night time riding now, not totally out but cut back !! damn it !!!

Ride safe

cj