Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Any Thought on Pushrod Cover Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 09:57 PM
daryl71bus
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Thought on Pushrod Cover Gaskets

Does anyone have any feadback on the different materials used to manufacture pushrod cover gaskets. The old cork style seem to get hard after about a season. I installed these NEW IMPROVED SILLI-CONE things and I think the cork might have leaked less when hard. I guess the gaskets are also made in rubber, haven`t tried those. Anyone have a preference. Also I use Shell-Aero Oil in my shovel, low ash content keeps inside motor clean. But it ain`t cheap, so would like to stop as many leaks as possible.
Stop leaks, it`s a (AMF)Shovelhead. Thanks, Daryl

Old 05-09-2006, 06:52 PM
sbd
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Any Thought on Pushrod Cover Gaskets

I used the stock cork at the top.I used the orings in the center and some half moon blue silicone seals at the bottom,they have not leaked yet......JERRY

Old 05-09-2006, 08:01 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

I tried all different kinds and always seemed to end up back with the cork ones.

Using that Shell Aero ain't a good idea. Aviation oil has zero detergents, but instead has AD (Ashless Dispersants) additives. Aviation oil is also missing a lot of other additives that your oil oughtta have. It has a minimum of one antiwear additive, about 900 ppm of phosphorus, and that is it. Most motorcycles will have a combination of phosphorus, zinc, and molybdenum as an antiwear package. Airplane oil doesn't have these extra additives because spark plug fouling is a slightly greater problem at 10,000 feet than it is on the ground.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:59 PM
Deadcarny
Novice

I put the o rings in mine and they sealed up very well.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:27 AM
daryl71bus
Intermediate

Thanks for the input, haven`t even considered O-ring style, I`ll have to check them out. Sound like I`ll end up just putting cork back in and changing them each season. (man I`m cheap).
Skip, thanks for the heads up on the Aero/Oil, an old friend of mine suggested it. Must just be waiting for us to be puttin` down the road about 70, the motor would seize up and Dean would be there laughin` his behind off. I`ll just bit the bullet, take a second out on the house and purchase a case of HD 30. Just what I`ve been puttin into the motor until about 6 months ago (got my advise). Man, with the price of oil products I`ve had to take all my unused stuff and put it in the gun safe and the guns are stashed all over the garage.
Thanks Again, I always thought chrome was just a way for metal to look Prudy?
Daryl

Old 05-11-2006, 01:07 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Daryl, forget that overpriced HD 360. Try some Havoline 20w-50. Or if you just have to go with a straight oil, find some Castrol 50 weight.

Old 05-13-2006, 01:00 AM
daryl71bus
Intermediate

Thanks I`ll go with the Castrol I`ve used it in my VW engines for years. That way all the spots in the driveway will be the same color.

Old 05-13-2006, 12:10 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

One thing nice about the cork gaskets is you can slit them on an angle and slip 'em in place without taking the pushrods out. And you can even slide one on top of another. I used to use 2 of 'em in the middle.

Old 05-16-2006, 02:16 PM
Szmytty
Intermediate

On my 78 Stroker, I just replace them every year as part of my prep from sitting for the winter. I have solid pushrods so it's easier to pull the rods. Cork work fine, but I have also used the blue silicone ones. Not too much difference. I think because I have the longer tubes for the stroker, they seem to weap more. I've tried everything including custom pushrod tubes. I've just come to terms with the fact that they weap.

1978 1/2 FHL 93" Stroker
2001 Suzuki Hayabusa
2006 FLHXi Street Glide

Old 05-17-2006, 01:12 AM
daryl71bus
Intermediate

Weap, Nice way to put it. Yeah I`ll just break down and change every season too. Have solid also and I have to adjust em anyway. Just which it did`nt WEAP from so many damn different places at the end of summer!

Quick Reply: Any Thought on Pushrod Cover Gaskets