Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

anybody running syn. oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 05:55 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of oil info here that some of us dug up:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-a...ty-in-oil.html
Synthetic oil does not cause oil leaks.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:24 PM
roopy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my '79 shovel rebuilt about 8,000 mile's ago.Broke it in with dino oil for 200 mile's. Synthetic ever since. 60wt Amsoil for summer, 20-50 Mobile 1 V-twin in cooler weather. Synthetic is in everything I own...even my lawn mower!!!!!

Old 01-10-2009, 05:01 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

I only run dino in my beater work car. Everything else I own has synthetic in it.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:17 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mopardave
A lot of oil info here that some of us dug up:
Synthetic oil does not cause oil leaks.
“mopardave”

“A lot of oil info here that some of us dug up:
Synthetic oil does not cause oil leaks.”

[And this little tidbit from Molil 1 about whats differnt in motorcycle oil:
"Additive packages balanced differently for motorcycle engine and transmission operation. For passenger vehicles, fuel economy and emission system protection are higher priorities. These require low phosphorus systems and the use of friction modifiers. Motorcycle oils do not require friction modifiers for fuel economy and for better clutch friction less/no friction modifier is optimum. Motorcycle oils allow the use of higher levels of antiwear additives such as ZDDP (phosphorous)"]

Dave,
Good topic and I like what you have found, when using dino oil in the past the “Additives” were everything to an air-cooled engine : - ))

Good post !

Ride safe,

cj

Old 01-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Jeff D.
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff D.
Why does Amsoil recommend their sae60 as their first pick to run in pre Evolution motors and their 20-50 second?

The only reason I use their straight 60 instead of their 20-50 is because they recommend it as their first pick, otherwise my thinking is along the lines of others here.

Perhap's it flows well enough that cold start-up, while using it, would not be enough of a concern to warrant their recommending the use of their 20-50 first?

Straight 60 does have advantages in certain situations. Could it be these outweigh the benifit's of using their multi grade?

Like I said, I don't know the real answers, only speculating. I assume they have reason's for their recommendations though.
Originally Posted by cj_slowdown
Same here on the answers, I would like to see their reasons, like I said 60wt was on its way out by the 80’s I can’t even imagine running 60wt anything in the N/E in Dec, Jan / Feb, as I said get a quart and pour it out at about 30 degs, it’s nuts IMO to use that grade in any more than the 2 hottest days of the year : - )))

Take care Jeff D, ride safe,
cj
CJ, I was curious and decided to ask the guys at BITOG if they knew the answer.
Here's their response: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...43#Post1339643

They certainly don't say not to use 20W50, and I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, it may be the best choice in many situations. I just wanted to know for my own curiousity sake why 60 weight would be recommended by Amsoil.

Last edited by Jeff D.; 01-12-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:33 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cj_slowdown
“mopardave”

“A lot of oil info here that some of us dug up:
Synthetic oil does not cause oil leaks.”

[And this little tidbit from Molil 1 about whats differnt in motorcycle oil:
"Additive packages balanced differently for motorcycle engine and transmission operation. For passenger vehicles, fuel economy and emission system protection are higher priorities. These require low phosphorus systems and the use of friction modifiers. Motorcycle oils do not require friction modifiers for fuel economy and for better clutch friction less/no friction modifier is optimum. Motorcycle oils allow the use of higher levels of antiwear additives such as ZDDP (phosphorous)"]

Dave,
Good topic and I like what you have found, when using dino oil in the past the “Additives” were everything to an air-cooled engine : - ))

Good post !

Ride safe,

cj

Thanks, CJ. I have had to look into different ways to save since my cash flow has slowed a bit lately and I literally have no savings. Everyone should carry good insurance. A drunk illegal hit us in 06 and the cost was very high....