Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Dual Exhaust Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 09:13 AM
shovelheadgreg
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dual Exhaust Change

A buddy of mine, who I built his engine has a 98 Softail Springer and we are talking about cutting his 2 into 2 exhaust, welding in a piece of metal to create a 1 to 1 exhaust system. His rear cylinder dumps into a crossover pipe and we want to stop that by cutting below the weld and then welding in a bowed piece to block off the crossover, we will also cut the pipe at the bottom and weld in a piece to block off that exhaust.
I would have put this into the Evo side, but when I ask that side a question I get no response - just tips on new chrome or reading them talk about their "long 75 mile ride". Right now his bike sounds great out of the right side but the left side sounds like a sewing maching and we want to equal the output on both sides.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this or suggestions that might help us out?
ShovelheadGreg in Alabama

Old 08-30-2008, 07:30 AM
shovelheadgreg
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cut and welded the rear pipe, bowed the added piece to allow flow from exhaust port directly into left side pipe. Fantastic change!!!! The original pipes used a cross over right below the rear port which took almost ALL the rear jug exhaust and mixed it with the front jug exhaust. Now he can ride the bike up a steep hill in 5th gear - until we changed to pipe he would have to downshift! Going to dyno the bike in two weeks, but the change is DRAMATIC!

Old 08-30-2008, 03:09 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Is the crossover the same size as the exhaust header or is it the smaller 1" or 3/4" tubing that is usually used? I'm surprised it was designed with such a large imbalance in it. The crossover is supposed to get a little more torque out of the engine but the big imbalance you describe doesn't sound right. I wonder if they intended it to be like that...

Last edited by megawatt; 08-30-2008 at 04:24 PM.