Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

going thru coils

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 07:37 PM
redtruck
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going thru coils

&nbsp\\;Hello every one,&nbsp\\; I did&nbsp\\;a top end job on my shovelhead this winter, new clutch,&nbsp\\;front end, paint and about a million bucks with of chrome. Got about 300 miles on break in. After a short run and it sits I go to fire it up and it wants to run on one cylinder. I can replace the coil and it seems OK again. I have gone thru two coils so far. Has someone delt with this and solved the problem. Please whats the fix?&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 06-22-2008, 09:24 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Default RE: going thru coils

redtruck, I cannot think of any way a coil will fail (barring extreme vibration or heat) unless it is defective. I suppose it would if it was used in a totally wrong application with extreme voltage or current put through it but otherwise all I can think is, it is defective. I had a coil from Daytona Twin Tech fail on me that I believe took out my ignition module but I do not see it the other way around.
Can you return at least one of them as a defective? If you can do a return, try to get a brand name one (if you have not been using a brand name) and pay the additional balance, if any.
What kind of ignition system are you using, electronic or points?

Old 06-22-2008, 10:24 PM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: going thru coils

Did you change your ignition when you did the mods? A electronic ignition coil on a points bike??? Dual fire coil on with a single fire ignition??? Just some thoughts.....