Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

power to coil problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:14 AM
79lowrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power to coil problem

[:-]Hello im Paul I have a 79 lowrider 80ci points ignition bike just died one day as i was riding no spark. brought it home new points assembly (weights, springs,backing plate,etc. no luck! new coil accel plug wires new plugs, nothing! New chrome hand controls with wiring , New ignition switch w/keys ALL new wiring from key to circuit breakers, also 3 new circuit breakers... And still NOTHING oh and new battery and cables, OK, Now if I unplug the hot wire at bottom of coil and run a jumper from bottom of coil to positive on battery bike will fire and run like new remove jumper plug hot wire back and nothing! If you test the hot wire unplugged from the coil with the key ON it tests 12v plug it into the coil and test with key on and tests 0 I am LOST!!!!
Please Help! Bike is all stock except for S&S Super E and 2" Drag pipes
What am i missing? Im kinda new at this I also have a 04 lowrider
[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 05-28-2008, 05:59 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Default RE: power to coil problem

You have a poor connection someplace that can't handle the load of the ignition. Work your way backwards through the electrical path from the coil connection toward the battery looking for where the 12 volts stays strong with the ignition on. Do it a little at a time shutting off the ignition every couple minutes or so and give the coil time to cool down. While you are doing this, the points must be closed or bypassed (jumpered) to ground to complete the circuit and put load on the system.
Many times the problem is in the wiring up to the handlebar run/stop switch.
Crane, as well as other companies, sells a little relay kit that can be used to get the ignition power more directly to the coil. It still uses the stop/run switch to close the relay contacts which more directly connect the battery to the coil. This kit may ultimately help you but you still should find where the system is failing first since it may have nothing to do with the run/stop switch.
Checking the system at different points along the electrical pathway will eventually show you where the weak connection is.
Reading your post, it sounds like you put all that electrical stuff on after the problem began. What components did you install after the problem surfaced?

Old 05-28-2008, 08:12 AM
ARBY
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good advice from megawatt. Also be sure to check any ground wires in the circuit. Sometimes folks forget that the ground is just as important as the hot.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Chris76
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said you replaced the points assembly... was the condenser replaced with that (dumb question probably)? I have had to replace my condenser a few times for no spark.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:04 AM
79lowrider
Advanced

yes i have replaced all these things since the problem started (yes new condensor also) although its not the condensor or it wouldnt start with the jumper wire, and that is what i do not understand. why would the power wire to the coil read 12v but then i hook it up to the coil and it reads 0

Old 05-28-2008, 05:01 PM
markymark02
Tourer

By chance did you try the coil, I think your saying you have power to the coil, but nothing coming out of it, if you do then try the wire the runs from the coil to the points.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:00 PM
SirEagle
Intermediate

kill switch, if it goes bad you lose everything to the coil and those aftermarket switches sometimes are bad right out of the box

Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior

The reason you lose the 12 volt potential when you hook the wire back up and complete the circuit is that you have a verypoor connection somewhere in the system. With no load, like when you had the wire off the coil so there is no current flow, it is a good enough connection to show the 12 volt potential but when you complete the circuit by connecting the coil wire somewhere there is such a crappy connection that with current flow, the potential (voltage) drops out. Tracing backwards through the system will show you where the bad connection is. It could be a connector, a wire ora switch, there is just no telling where it might be. Ya gotta check different spots for potential while the system is under load.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:58 AM
79lowrider
Advanced

thank you megawatt and all of you i found the problem it was behind the headlight where there is a plug in the harness and the white wire was loose in one side i bypassed the plug and it fired right up thanks again although i do have another question but its on my 04 fuel injected lowrider do i need to take and have it programed or whatever cause very black thick layer all over main butterfly just behind air cleaner and also it seems to almost die when i pull in the clutch for a stop light but then when i come to a stop it will slowly idle up is it loading up?
Thanks
Paul

Old 05-30-2008, 06:32 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior

79lowrider,
Good to hear ya got the electrical problem fixed.
As far as fuel injected Harleys, I am out of my element. I do know that FI throttle bodies develop a carbon build up over time on cars and that has to be cleaned off from time to time with brake cleaner or whatever cuts through it. Perhaps one of the dudes on the Twin Cam part of this forum can help you. It does sound like something is amiss with it almost dying coming to a stop. There's a guy on here, Dr. Hess, who sounds like he really "gets" fuel injection. Ask around for his input.
Good luck.

Quick Reply: power to coil problem