Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

HELP ON S&S CARB

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:48 PM
panshovel4life
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP ON S&S CARB

Hey guys. I just put a S&S Super E carb on my 51/74 Pan/Shovel. The bike ran fine before the carb swap but old carb was just warn out. The bike with the new carb runs fine untill I get to the higher RPM's in each gear. It kinda bobbles. No backfire no other noise either. Also the bike wil not run any faster then 60 MPH. I know the motor is able to do way over that cause the old wore out carb would let it run over 75 or 80 and the carb was not even opening all the way. Please help.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:10 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Default RE: HELP ON S&S CARB

Check your float level and the needle/seat first. If you have sufficient fuel in the bowl,then perhapsyour carb has plugged passagesor jets. But it kinda sounds likeyou are running out of gas due to the fuel level dropping in the bowl. Checkthe bowlout first.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:37 PM
panshovel4life
Advanced

could it be running out of gas due to the petcock? How do you check the float level and what can be done about it to adjust it

Old 05-16-2008, 10:06 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

If you have a healthy stream of fuel coming out of your fuel hose when the petcock is open, I doubt that is your problem.
The only way to check your float bowl level is to measure the float setting with the bowl off. To avoid having to remove the carb and flipping it over to check the measurement, Put a piece of hose on the fuel supply nipple on the carb and gently presurize the line by blowing on it (yes, you are putting the hose in your mouth, don't let your buddies see you giving a hose a knobber) while you operate the float up and down. S&S has the measurement for the carb float on their website I'm sure. Check the float position against the S&S setting where raising the float just closes the needle valve and you feel the air flow stop. That's the quickest method I can think of. A guy on here named Rodney very recently posted a link to his website with a bunch of info on S&S carbs. Check that out. Its here in the Shovelhead section.
I found it. Here it is:
http://rodgregg.com/s_s_docs.htm

Old 05-17-2008, 05:56 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only difference between the "E" and the "B" is the "E" has a acce;erator pump and the "B" doesn't. I think its your jetting. There is a main jet,intermediant jet and an idle mixture adjustment.

here is an excellent site for dialing in your Super "E":

http://www.millerscustomparts.us/sho...tuningtips.htm

I bet its one of these 3 adjustments. I would rule them out.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:26 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Do the throat sizes match Same ID for the carb and manifold? Was the old carb a B S&S ?

Old 05-17-2008, 09:29 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,520 Posts

You can also go straight to S&S.... www.sscycle.com They have the tech tips for setting up your carb correctly. The site is very user friendly.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Panshovel,
are you running drag pipes, what cam and other mods to your engine?
what ignition are you running?
how do the spark plugs look after the bike had been ridden to operating temp. 1o to 15 minutes depending on ambient temperature?
does the engine idle well and dose the air fuel mixture screw respond to adjustment?
is this a NEW S & S right out of the box or used? if new jetting size should be printed on the box.
if used have you check the jetting size of the main and intermediate?

Old 05-20-2008, 04:19 PM
panshovel4life
Advanced

sorry guys. busy weekend. I was not get enough fuel into the carb. I could look at the fuel filter while I was having the problem and there was barley any gas in it. explored futher into it and the petcock was messing up. so i went with the recommended petcock for the S&S. And now the damn bike won't even run at all. I'm selling the S&S and putting a good ol' Bendix on it. The bike ran great with a wore out Bendix so a new one has to work better then that stupid EPA ran S&S

Old 05-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Too bad your giving up on the S & S
they are a good Carburetor once set up correctly.

Quick Reply: HELP ON S&S CARB