Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shvlhd Motor Starts but Dies out Immediately

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:32 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Shvlhd Motor Starts but Dies out Immediately

nice. Custom all around. Single down tube frame,front end,shifting...everything is very personalized. Looks well done. Now if we can get all these gremlins straightened out. Is the battery under the seat or in that chrome box or is that chrome box a tool box?

Old 05-20-2008, 08:47 AM
fiveola
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Bad. This was my 1st build and I've learned alot doing this project. The engine and tranny are from my old HPD (Hawaii Police Dept.) bike that I"ve had for 18 years which I picked up for $3800. The battery is under the seat in the middle of the oil tank and yes, that is a tool box (never know when you're gonna have to wrench on the side of the road). I tried to make everything on this bike easily accessible to work on w/out having to tear the bike apart - ease of access. My only gripe is the paint which I've done in the backyard using an paint gun and a pvc pipe and plastic sheeting as a booth but I really had no money to pay for an expensive, show bike job. It works for now until I decide I get some bucks.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:06 PM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually kudo's for you because thats the way it use to be done before all the custom parts availability of today. When I was putting togther by 63 pan rigid a hundred years ago I actually had floating disk brakes (sh*t canned the stock,drum brakeset up)on it before MOCO came out w/ the softail. I welded in slotted brackets so the caliper could "float when you adjusted the rear wheel for chain tension.

Don't get me wrong I think its great to have such a variety and selection in parts. Its just like in your case its really "your" bike when you're done. And it looks good too!

*I use to be stationed at Tripler,Oahu back in the 70's. No offense it was a great place to visit but couldn't wait to get out of there. Its so crowded and I bet its worse. Expensive........how do the home boys survive?

Old 05-22-2008, 06:35 PM
fiveola
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense taken. I was raised there until I decided to move to Ca. San Francisco bay area 12 years ago. I get rock fever everytime I go back to visit my family but u can't beat the year long riding weather there. How do the local boyz survive? I guess you just get used to riding in whatever environment you're in. It's still crowded and if I were to move back, it would be the Big Island for me. I need some roads to ride. Aloha

Old 12-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Rodideo
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Fiveola,
I don't have a shovel, but this is my first bike. I have a 2000 FXSTS. But it is a complete custom. I recently acquired this bike. After some time I finally got it to start, the bike had sat 2yrs, so new plugs, oil & filter, coil and wires. So, here it is. When cold the bike starts fine once it is warmed up it dies, let it sit for a few minutes and it'll start and immediately die. Started to notice that when the oil pressure hit zero was when it would start and die again. I read one of your posts and found it to be about as close my prob as I could find. Any advise would be great. Thanks in advance.

Rodideo

Old 12-06-2012, 07:47 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

use photobucet for pcs--

Old 12-06-2012, 07:47 AM
biginchhustler
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

"photobucket*

Old 12-06-2012, 07:49 AM