Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Tappet oil screen

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:46 PM
alwaysarider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tappet oil screen

Hello all... this is my 7th bike, 2nd Harley, a '80 shovel. I like to do as much home maintenance as I can and they recommend cleaning the tappet oil screen on every other oil change. So to get this bad boy out, it takes a special tool ($18.00). Anyone have a cheaper way to get this bolt off? I've also been thinking of replacing it with a same-size allen head so in the future it would be easier. Any pointers?

Old 04-30-2008, 04:45 PM
silvergoldsmith
Road Warrior
Default RE: Tappet oil screen

What special tool? When I bought mine [1980 FXEF] it had a straight slot cap. 2 points -
1] if you use paper filters you will most likely never need to clean the screen again.
2] the cap is not just a screw and must be replaced with a cap. I replaced mine with an allen cap.
Just went thru the shop manual, there is no special tool listed and it is a straight slot cap with a gasket/seal. Do you have a shop manual?

Old 04-30-2008, 05:01 PM
alwaysarider
Cruiser

The tool is J&P's part number 7400441 and I believe it is in my manual as well, I'll double check. Paper filter? You mean air or oil? Yeah, a lot of the bolts on my bike that may need attention now and then are already 1/4" allen head soit' d be nice to convert this one to a 1/4" cap as well. BTW my air filter is a K&N foam. The oil filter is chrome outside, but I haven't seen the inside yet.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:27 PM
silvergoldsmith
Road Warrior

Paper oil filter instead of the spun fiberglass factory dropin. I changed to spin-on when I changed the oil tank. Page 3-30 figure 3-35 is the oil pump and shows apart 15 as the relief vavle plug and washer. It shows a straight slot cap/plug. Service manual part # 99482-83.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:02 PM
alwaysarider
Cruiser

So, if I hear what you are saying, since my oil filter is after market (it is) a spin on mounted in front of the engine, it's most likely paper and the need to clean the tappet oil screen is no longer necessary. Is that a correct assumption? So maybe this is just a "moo" point. I'll check my manual too for the part you mention and thanks for the info.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:55 AM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It would still be a good idea to check the screen if you never have. I've ran paper filters for quite some time and when I rebuild my engine the screen was in need of a cleaning.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:11 AM
alwaysarider
Cruiser

OK, sounds good. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:17 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,342 Likes on 1,518 Posts

Definitely check the oil tappet screen. Each time I change oil I check the tappet screen. If you are going to install the allen type (great idea if bike is not stock or semi custom), any long flat blade that is basically the width of the slot will do (since you are replacing it and not concerned about messing the slot up)

Old 05-01-2008, 03:30 PM
alwaysarider
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: silvergoldsmith

Paper oil filter instead of the spun fiberglass factory dropin. I changed to spin-on when I changed the oil tank. Page 3-30 figure 3-35 is the oil pump and shows apart 15 as the relief vavle plug and washer. It shows a straight slot cap/plug. Service manual part # 99482-83.
My manual is not the same page for page, but I did find the part you refer to and did not find any reference to the tool to remove it. Think I'll checkthe screenthen replace the cap with an allen, and make a note of this change in my "new and improved" owners manual. Thanks for all the help.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:25 PM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Tried to remove the cap on my 73 FLH and couldn't get it to budge with a large slotted screwdriver. I quit before I damaged the slotted top. It's almost like they welded the damn thing on. I'm going to take some flat stock and make a tool the size and width of the slotted cap and turn it with vise grips. $18.00 for a special tool? No way. The allen head cap sounds like a good idea.

Quick Reply: Tappet oil screen