Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Getting Started, Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 11:01 AM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Getting Started, Need Help.

Hello everyone,

I have always wanted to build a bike and I've reached the stage to where I can start looking around for frame/engine, ect... I'd like to build a 68 Shovelhead because that was the year I was born.

My questions are:

What you would tell someone who's starting their first project.

Where would you look for parts/frames?

I'm in no hurry to get it done. I want to have fun, take my time and build a bike I can stand back look at and say, I built that.

How dothe guys that have done this before begin a project like this?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Old 03-31-2008, 08:49 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Getting Started, Need Help.

You asked for it, so here is my .02 cents...... Buy a rideable bike first. Ride the heck out of it for awhile then when you know exactly what you want to do with it, youride untilearly winter and tear it down. Get all your parts together you intend to replace/install,putem all together, as in make it rideable again in the 'format' you want, make sure it all works and fits, then tear back down for paint.
After it is all done, sell your old 'original' parts on EBAY or whereverso you can recoupesome of your investment and buy a bottle of GOOD bourbon (Pendleton) to sip on while you sit and stare at your '1st born'!!!!!

Have fun!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:26 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Branner,
If you are made of the right stuff for projects like this, you are going to have a really good time.
I hope ya got lotsa tools.
I hope ya know how to weld or have a good friend who can weld stuff for you.
Myself, I would keep the original frame/engine case combo to avoid any registration hassles.
I believe msgtarmor gave you sound advice regarding the bike but I'd probably sip a soda instead of bourbon.
Don't let the pain-in-the-butt stuff discourage you, just learn what you need to do to overcome the obstacles (that's what I meant by having the "right stuff").
I hope you find as much satisfaction as I do in a project bike.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:09 AM
longpig
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Branner,
I would look at this forum classifieds, craigslist and ebay. I t might be difficult if you are looking for a one year only. If you broaden your search possibly for a 66-69 ( generator shovels)that would be easier. You should also check out your local independent hd shops, develop a relationship with them and see if they will assist in the search. Good luck !

Old 04-01-2008, 08:55 PM
msgtarmor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is another idea I have..... If you are sure ofwhat you wantyour ride to be like, there are several places to get rolling chassis with your choice of wheels, frame, tin, frontend, etc. You provide the drivetrain, electrics,hardware and paint. As far as I know, any evo style frame(not rubber mount) will accept a shovel engine. You will have to check with specific manufactures to make sure the generator motor will fit. Also make surethe tranny you want will work with your engine.
It really is a blast to build one from ground up, but there is a hell of a lotta frustration involved also.... And it just dont happen like the TV shows. Takes a lot of hours, sweat, figurin and thumbin thru aftermarket catalogs. Just dont lose focus!!
If it helps you can use my motto........EEEEEHAAAAAAA!!!!!

Old 04-02-2008, 07:18 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

msgtarmor... gave you some good advice at the begining of this post. Try to find a running scoot, this way you can determine what really needs to be worked on. I suggest you take lots of pics of the bike before you start doing any tear down, especially electrical connections so when you start going back together you know what worked before. Swap meets are a must for finding parts and you are going to have to get into the loop. You are going to need a mentor to help you at times so, do some networking in your area. Talk to other owners about their rides, this will get you alot of info and you just might cop a line on a scoot for sale.
Thebest suggestion I have is the first one, try not to piece together a bike for your first project, start with a running bike. You will pay a little more but, you will know how the bike is supposed to look.If you start with a project that has the original HD title and not a manufactured title it will be worth more in the end. Good luck keep us posted.

Bythe way I am also looking for a 66' to 69', because of a knee injury I can't kick mine anymore. I will trade or sell mine, any takers?

Old 04-06-2008, 09:16 AM
southphillyed
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Branner...what style bike do you want to build? My preference is a rigid framed scoot....but thats just me.
Are you out to build an flh looking bike?
You can find lots of replica parts at V-twin....but a lot of them are of asian origin and the quality is quite often 2nd rate.
The nice thing about the 69 and older scoots is the registration process.............the numbers on the left side of the motor,essentially is all you need for registration!....Do you have original paperwork?