Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Top end oiling questions 1968 Shovelhead

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Top end oiling questions 1968 Shovelhead

Hello all,
I have a few questions about the oiling of the top end of my 1968 shovelheadrebuild.
I got the bike fired up yesterday and after running it a few minutes I adjusted the valves to find that I am seeing no oil in the rear push rod tubes. there's plenty of oil going to the front head, when I remove the cover to the exhaust push rod tube {front head} lots of oil.
I was told by a buddy that the oils is proabably running down the left side passage in the cylinder. This still concerns me that my push rods and the top of the lifers are not getting any oil to keep the cool. I have ran the bike a total of 5 miuntes and have not riden it yet until I am convinced there is not some thing wrong.
I installed the sifton rocker adjuster kitand new v-twin rockers but other that that everything is OEM. I hooked a gauge to the oil pump sending unit port and cold the engine has 25 lbs once it is warmed up the pressure dorps at an idle but picks back up slowly with rpm increase.
when I remove the rocker shaft screws carb side {while the engine is running} I do get a trickle of oil from the rear head rocker shafts but not much.
Am I being to paranoid and should go ride it @ hiway speed like my buddy said to do, or do some more checking this out?
I am running the OEM pump and have checked and changed the pressure relief valve and put the longer spring in when checking things out { I had the shorter spring in to begin with}.
any one with any ideas??! I really want to give my new stroker a spin but not if something is wrong.
thanks

Old 03-01-2008, 11:40 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Top end oiling questions 1968 Shovelhead

remove the rocker shaft nuts on the front head (running) is the amount of oil the same? I don't think there's a problem

Old 03-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Rodney
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Top end oiling questions 1968 Shovelhead

I'll go do that now and see. thanks for the reply.