Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Mystery tranny side cover

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 11:45 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Mystery tranny side cover

A zillion years ago, well maybe it was in the late seventies or early eighties, I bought a ball and ramp type clutch release system for my '66 Shovel. I had the original four spd. kicker on the bike. This setup replaced the kicker cover and the clutch cable entered the cover from the top. I really liked it because it eliminated the clutch release arm swinging over the top of the tranny which allowed me to build the larger oil tank I wanted.
Does anybody remember this product? What the heck was it called and who made it?
I don't see it anywhere.
I have never seen anybody else use one. It was a very well built product.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:59 PM
last shovel
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mystery tranny side cover

Megawatt,
I admit itsho' do seem lika' bout a zillion years sometimes. That cover was made by "RODAN". The inspiration for it was based upon the British school o' thought that states, "Different is different."
And now for the truely weird; I got my inquiring paws upon one of them in 1978AD
and installed it on my (you guessed it!) 66 FLH (66FLH16611 to be exact). It gave me a very tough time of it, much swearing and infantile display. Iremember the clutch cable with particular venom; sorta like Conut-the-Blobarian vs. the Concrete Snake. In those days I thought every new thing should be tried but it was usually me that wound up getting tried.
A swap meet or as we down here call'em "Dump-that-Junk" party is prob the best place to try.
Good luck with it.
Skip, A&P, Caretaker of the last production Shovelhead

Old 01-12-2008, 05:46 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior

last shovel,
Rodan huh? The name "Rodan" is kinda, sorta, vaguely familiar. Too bad that thing didn't work out for ya. It worked great for me.
In those years I was trying different clutches (eight or nine different setups) with the same luck you had with that Rodan unit.
I finally went back to a stock type clutch and it worked better than all the super-wizz-bang, hot-setup garbage I tried.
Live and learn, I guess.
Thanks for the info.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:30 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Rivera Primo makes one for 4 speeds This is hydraulic therefore a master cyl on the handlebars is needed. There p/n is1215-0023 This unit was to be available 2007 ?

Old 01-14-2008, 05:31 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior

Thanks sqdealgeorge. I was just strolling down memory lane trying to remember who made that kicker cover all those years ago. I'm not looking for one.
Baker Drivetrain also makes a hydraulic actuated clutch cover that works on 4 speeds and their 6 into 4 trannys.
I didn't know about the Rivera Primo one. Thanks.
I have been thinking about trying a hydraulic clutch setup someday.