Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Help on transmission plug 81 4speed

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007 | 05:34 PM
HogBack
|
Road Master
Default Help on transmission plug 81 4speed

Hey boys: Onmy81 FLHS four speed shovel. The transission has a 1/2 pipe thread as the plug. I bought a #707 transmission drain plug, per HD. Pulled and drained... the 1/2 #707 has too course of threads. Any chance this a 1/2 x 20 plug...HD said no way, but since the pipe thread is much finer thread.... anyone know for sure?

Thanks....

Hogback

Old 11-12-2007 | 05:54 PM
HogBack
|
Road Master
Default RE: Help on transmission plug 81 4speed

PS... the pipe thread does not go in very nice either.... I put it back but just snug till I can figure this out...

Hogback

Old 11-14-2007 | 10:47 AM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member

Hello Hogback,
Dont fool with HD on Shovels. They dont work on them, they dont have parts for them, I dont even think they admit to ever making Shovels. They have always looked the other way when it comes to Shovel owers. Look on J&P cycles website and order a after market plug. They are a ton of aftermarket parts available for shovels. Ask them for the vintage J&P parts catolog, it is the size of a phone book and has everything you could ever need for a shovel.

Old 11-14-2007 | 07:35 PM
HogBack
|
Road Master

Thanks Bogley: Great advise...I will do like ya said.... I knew the HD techs were off base [&o], but will now make J&P my bike bible...

Later

Hogback

PSStill gotta love your shovel....

Old 11-14-2007 | 07:52 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey Hogback,
Thanks for the compliments. Do you have any pictures of your "new" shovel?

Old 11-14-2007 | 07:53 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

ORIGINAL: wbogley
Dont fool with HD on Shovels. They dont work on them, they dont have parts for them, I dont even think they admit to ever making Shovels. They have always looked the other way when it comes to Shovel owers.
A true story. My brother Curt, who is a very direct man, went to his local dealer to get an oil filter for his shovelhead. The guy at the counter told him that they did not stock anything for his bike. PO'd, he went home, got on the phone and figured out how to get to an operator at Harley Davidson Corp. He asked to speak to ***** G, and the operator asked him to hold. Shortly, he heard "This is ***** G, how may I help you". Curt then launched his tirade, about how Harley would have folded if it wasn't for the support of their loyal biker customers and all their shovels, etc., etc. ***** G listened patiently, and when Curt was done saying what he had to say, ***** G replied:

"GET A NEW BIKE, YOU CHEAP BASTARD", and hung up.

I just had to share that.

Old 11-14-2007 | 11:02 PM
HogBack
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Beemervet

ORIGINAL: wbogley
Dont fool with HD on Shovels. They dont work on them, they dont have parts for them, I dont even think they admit to ever making Shovels. They have always looked the other way when it comes to Shovel owers.
A true story. My brother Curt, who is a very direct man, went to his local dealer to get an oil filter for his shovelhead. The guy at the counter told him that they did not stock anything for his bike. PO'd, he went home, got on the phone and figured out how to get to an operator at Harley Davidson Corp. He asked to speak to ***** G, and the operator asked him to hold. Shortly, he heard "This is ***** G, how may I help you". Curt then launched his tirade, about how Harley would have folded if it wasn't for the support of their loyal biker customers and all their shovels, etc., etc. ***** G listened patiently, and when Curt was done saying what he had to say, ***** G replied:

"GET A NEW BIKE, YOU CHEAP BASTARD", and hung up.

I just had to share that.
And that attitudereaks from every HD and staff member..... Let's see,where did I put that J&P phone number for a new catolog....

Old 11-15-2007 | 05:52 AM
ScooterHD69
Cruiser

I quit going to the local HD shop when the owner referred to my 69 as junk and told me I needed to trade up. My 69 is far from junk. I'll never grace their floors with my boots again.

Scooter

Old 11-15-2007 | 08:19 AM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member

The other day I was looking at a bunch of vintage HD t-shirts the dealer had. They had a bunch of shirts that pictured Pans, Knuckles and even Flat Heads...no shovel T shirts.. I dont get it. What ever, IMO the shovel is the best looking motor they ever made. The engine is almost 40 years old now and if you look at many custom motorcycle magizines people are chosing the S&S Shovel to run in brand new customs.Seems like HD could have made a ton of money over the yearsby rebuilding shovel engines(like they do evos)and parts and accessories.

Old 11-15-2007 | 01:13 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

hogback...#704 drain plug (5/8 - 18) is used on the FLH-80 Classic stock oil tanks from late 81 n up; 706 and 706A drain plug (1/2 - 20) is used on Fl, FLH and Classic from 41 to early 81.

Info from a stock HD Manual Parts catalog FL Models 1941-1984 (part # 99456-84B)

Quick Reply: Help on transmission plug 81 4speed