Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Help! driveability problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 11:21 AM
ACHALLIE
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! driveability problem

Ok guys...need some help. '79 FLH. Having a drivability problem. Recent work includes new cam, s&s super e rejeted and adjusted, intake "boot" replaced, new plugs. Recently purchased this bike but was told that the ignition circuit is new.

After (and before) I got it out of the shop I have experienced a problem with the motor surging. When I got it out of the shop it ran fine for a few miles then began surging again. It surges to the point that it finally dies. I plan on replacing the fuel filter this afternoon but was wondering if there are any other ideas out there.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Jeff D.
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help! driveability problem

Sounds to me like it could be running too lean. Possiblythe fuel level in the carb getting low (fuel filter or fuel cap not venting), intake air leak, carb jetting is too lean.

Does it start surging right away at a certain throttle setting/RPM, or does it seem tobuild up to doing it, gradually gettting worsewhile running? If you coast for an amount of time, once it starts surging, and get back on the throttle does it seem better, or the same? If better, I'd suspect a fuel supply problem to the carb.

How much throttle when it starts surging? If it'smid rpm's, and little throttle when surging I'dmake sure the intermediate jet isn't too lean.

Also, I'd check the intake manifold seals with WD40 while running to make sure they're not leaking. Does the carb have asolid mount to engine besides manifold? It's not vibrating to much causing an intermittant air leak?

Good luck with it!

Jeff

Old 10-13-2007, 07:24 AM
TDWZ28
Advanced

Check the screen on the petcock that is inside the tank.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:18 AM
ACHALLIE
Intermediate

Problem solved! Bike had set up for a while prior to my purchasing it. You wouldn't believe the crap I pulled out of the tank. Pulled the tanks. Acid cleaned 'em, and put in a liner. We're up and running! Look out Galveston!