Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

points head ache

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2024 | 07:27 PM
jeeperjo
|
Cruiser
Default points head ache

Well lets see if this rings a bell. I had to take my points off to replace a rotted wire. I put the points back in and it runs. Had to take the points off again for something else and put them back on and it just backfires. I'm trying to diagnose what is wrong and I have found something weird. When I put a continuity tester on each side of the points it shows continuity which is normal. When I put the points on top of the cam to open the points it also shows continuity. This seems crazy. Any ideas?

Old Yesterday | 07:54 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jeeperjo
Well lets see if this rings a bell. I had to take my points off to replace a rotted wire. I put the points back in and it runs. Had to take the points off again for something else and put them back on and it just backfires. I'm trying to diagnose what is wrong and I have found something weird. When I put a continuity tester on each side of the points it shows continuity which is normal. When I put the points on top of the cam to open the points it also shows continuity. This seems crazy. Any ideas?
Not timed on front Cylinder...180 out causes poor starting and will Not Run anywhere near right.. If I understand..Points wire is always grounded...Not gonna work...only ground thru Points.
Details...Slow Down, and Concentrate on Details...Knowing Exactly how the thing works is Paramount

Last edited by Racepres; Yesterday at 07:56 AM.
Old Yesterday | 08:07 AM
Baird
Club Member

Remove the condenser from the circuit it may be shorted. Try this and report back, touch red lead of voltmeter to moving contact of points, black to ground. Ignition and kill switch on, motor not running. Points closed should be 0 volts, points open should be 12 volts.
Did you remove just the points or the timer plate they are mounted to?

Old Yesterday | 08:19 AM
jeeperjo
|
Cruiser

All I did was take the points off. I needed to replace the screw that holds the points in because it was wollered out. I never moved the motor. This is the confusing part

Old Yesterday | 08:20 AM
jeeperjo
|
Cruiser

But I never tuned the motor over. I just took the points off to change a worn out screw and put them back on.

Old Yesterday | 08:29 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

What are you working on?

I don`t think you are understanding continuity and how it applies to this scenario...

Tell us exactly what the tester probes were touching on each of your tests.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; Yesterday at 08:39 AM.
Old Yesterday | 08:31 AM
jeeperjo
|
Cruiser

82 shovelhead with points ignition

Old Yesterday | 10:43 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Again
Originally Posted by Racepres
Knowing Exactly how the thing works is Paramount

Old Yesterday | 11:20 AM
jeeperjo
|
Cruiser

I had the tester probes on each side of the contacts, one on the top and one on the bottom. I got continuity. I put a thick piece of paper between the contacts and still got continuity. I would have thought that the continuity would have been broken. I've never completely understood the logic behind how they work but I always known how to work on them. I've always gotten them to work until this particular time.

Old Yesterday | 11:34 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Flip the RS switch to off.. If you don't have one disconnect the coil.

Quick Reply: points head ache