Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

No spark, 1977 FLH Shovelhead

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2024, 10:59 AM
EntirelySoulless
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No spark, 1977 FLH Shovelhead

Hello,
This is my third, and hopefully last post about this bike before I have it operating. In the other 2 posts I talk about the electrical system (solved) and the rear brake (in-progress, parts shipping). For my current issue, I believe this is my last step before I can get the bike operational, but I have an issue with sparking. It seems that no power is getting to the spark plugs to initiate that spark and fire the engines. I have tested my ignition coil (5 Ω) and the primary resistance is 4.8-5.7 Ω with a secondary resistance of 18,480 Ω. Because of these numbers I believe my ignition coil to be operational, but that leads my problem elsewhere. I have read online that a low battery could be the issue, but with ignition off I get 12.33 V and with ignition on (Light and accessories too) it is 12.16V, which I believe to be sufficient as well. This brings me to my third idea, the ignition breaker (timer) isn't sending off a signal to tell the spark plugs to fire. I got into that lower section of the bike and saw power was going through it and was moving when trying to start the engine. The bike has fuel, engine oil, transmission oil, battery connected, and any other setup that needed done previously. I was using a professional timing light as well to see if power was ever getting to the spark plugs and it seems that the ignition coil is getting power, but it isn't being distributed through the wires to the spark plugs? The bike sounds like it is trying to start when hitting the direct button and the ignition is on.
Let me know what you think,
Isaiah

Old 08-31-2024, 04:27 PM
FL54
Road Master
Received 470 Likes on 315 Posts

Not sure if this is your problem but a fully charged 12 v battery should read over 13 volts. The readings you’re listing indicate a battery maybe at around 50 %.

The following users liked this post:
rockher_man (09-01-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 06:40 PM
EntirelySoulless
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FL54
Not sure if this is your problem but a fully charged 12 v battery should read over 13 volts. The readings you’re listing indicate a battery maybe at around 50 %.
I charged the battery to 13.4 V and still nothing, thinking I am going to buy a new ignition coil.

Old 08-31-2024, 07:47 PM
john lee
Road Warrior
Received 371 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by EntirelySoulless
I charged the battery to 13.4 V and still nothing, thinking I am going to buy a new ignition coil.
the battery may not be holding the volts

Hey Man (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 06:21 AM
Baird
Club Member
Received 1,097 Likes on 453 Posts

Don't start throwing parts at it. A coil will produce a spark down to 10 volts. What is the voltage while cranking? Try this test. remove 1 plug and make sure the metal shell is grounded, on an unpainted surface. try to start, observe if there is a spark at the electrode.
Please remind us what ignition you have, points or electronic?

pgreer (09-01-2024)
Old 09-01-2024, 09:20 AM
EntirelySoulless
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Baird
Don't start throwing parts at it. A coil will produce a spark down to 10 volts. What is the voltage while cranking? Try this test. remove 1 plug and make sure the metal shell is grounded, on an unpainted surface. try to start, observe if there is a spark at the electrode.
Please remind us what ignition you have, points or electronic?
The voltage while cranking gets to 10.5V, using a multimeter, it seems that power is capable of getting into the ignition coil, but cannot leave. I have disconnected the wires to the spark plug and put a screwdriver into them and onto a grounded surface and had no spark this way as well (very unprofessional, but I also used a professional timing kit to confirm this test). I attached a link below to the ignition coil currently on the bike, although mine is yellow. To answer your last question, I believe that it is a point ignition coil.

https://4into1.com/magna-dual-fire-c...-hd-1965-2003/

Old 09-01-2024, 09:34 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,206 Likes on 2,886 Posts

Originally Posted by EntirelySoulless
You already know the battery is compromised so do a lot test on it before you spring for the coil. Might save yourself a bunch of money.

Old 09-01-2024, 01:38 PM
Baird
Club Member
Received 1,097 Likes on 453 Posts

Take the points cover off and rotate engine until points are open , either the wide or narrow lobe. check that you have 12vdc at moving contact when the ignition switch is ON. Don't hit your start button. Test for spark by grounding the contact,( I use a screwdriver blade) take the jumper away, plug should spark

Old 09-01-2024, 02:01 PM
1981 suprglide
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

hey if you pushing a five olm and it's not a kick that's your problem, if electric you need a 3-olm coil

Old 09-01-2024, 02:30 PM
pgreer
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,615 Likes on 1,039 Posts

If you have the old style points ignition inside the round cover with two screws on the cam cover (right side of the enigne) you are ok with the 5 ohm coil. If you aren't sure, remove the two screws and have a look. The ignition (spark plugs) should fire when the points open. But are the points set to the correct gap when on top of the ignition cam lobe?

Remove the round cover with two screws on the cam cover and take a picture of what you have and post it here.

Paul

Last edited by pgreer; 09-01-2024 at 02:45 PM.
Baird (09-01-2024)

Quick Reply: No spark, 1977 FLH Shovelhead