Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

with an S&S engine added do that lower the value

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2024, 06:06 AM
Rains2much
Road Warrior
Received 1,646 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by downzero
The only reason I wouldn't do one is that they're not offered in modest compression/camshaft engines. I don't think big displacement means big heat unless you're hammering on it. When I have the cruise set at 80 mph and need a little passing power, all that torque would be really cool. I thew a number out there because I knew they make a 143. I would want the longest stroke for sure, whatever bore is possible without reliability issues would be what I want.

That said, I don't have performance parts in my bagger for the same reason you state. I would rather have brute force reliability than have a bunch of torque on tap that is useless most of the time.

I don't really ride crusiers much and definitely not 500 miles.
in the context of a Shovelhead, some of this is dependent upon your ability to set the motor up and the quality of your heads. If you can do everything and anything possible to make those Shovelheads more efficient in the combustion chamber, slightly higher compression will not hurt longevity at all. or if it does, it’s very minuscule and doesn’t really matter. The reason everybody went to really low compression in the past was they didn’t understand how to set them up and the fuel went to crap. But using today’s fuel, if you can go with the lowest possible dome, but the highest mechanical compression the chamber will run far more efficiently. a good valve job all these things come in. And suddenly you have a far more efficient motor. I know there’s guys out there that still believe in running dual plugs with 8 1/2 to one compression. I don’t know who they are or what desert they live in with only 82 octane fuel available but it’s ridiculous. There is zero problem running 10:1 on 93 pump gas in a shovel.

I think for the most part what you’re describing is exactly what the ultimate 96 inch and the S&S 93 inch shovel heads are. Theyre welll thought out good blend of performance and reliability.

Last edited by Rains2much; 08-23-2024 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-23-2024, 02:12 PM
1981 suprglide
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Evo-Wes
If it does not have a Harley-Davidson motor, it is not a Harley-Davidson.
wow you can't be that loyal Harley Davidson when it comes to SHOVELHEADS they trashed the shovelheads they won't even work on one

Old 08-23-2024, 05:04 PM
FL54
Road Master
Received 470 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by 1981 suprglide
wow you can't be that loyal Harley Davidson when it comes to SHOVELHEADS they trashed the shovelheads they won't even work on one
And you wouldn’t want them working on one anyway. They can’t work on anything that can’t be plugged into a computer.

The following users liked this post:
Rains2much (09-09-2024)
Old 08-24-2024, 01:39 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
True story about a new engine and braking it in

the first guy gizmo police dresser guess 89 - wanted more and he is a distance rider - built him a 96 inch mostly S&S he tore that bike for 80,000 miles every place

but it is not a maniac

then we come to panama town drunk iron sporty 80s maybe never has any money some of the guys around the shop knew his bike was down so they all chipped in and i re did the motor and trans

NOW he is a dumb *** - so he shows up and wants to take is for a ride - we have a 10 minuet conversion about not racing it - he promises

fires it up loos both ways and are far as you can see him going down the avenue - the engine is maxed out 15 min it’s later he shows up griming from ear to ear

i screamed at him - he said is a straight face - I wasn’t racing anybody so it was ok
Played that game when I was with the Indian dealer during the Gilroy days. We also sold several brands and serviced most the others of the box choppers all the rage around 2000, 100” & 113” were the common engines. I’d spend 20 minutes going over the bikes with new owners and repeated myself several times about the break in needed.

Always got the serious look and rapid head bobbing from them. Couple makes told them outright you blow the motor be hard getting it repaired, they won’t replace it. Half maybe listened, knew one guy it was going to be trashed before he got home, stoplight 3 blocks down he was lighting it, heard the bike hit the freeway 1/2 mile off, didn’t make the weekend.

One clown nailed it in the parking lot, got some air and shot across 4 lanes of traffic into chain link fence. That was painful l liked that Big Red Machine, aside from the goofy inverted front end they the rest of it right.

Old 09-04-2024, 09:57 AM
1981 suprglide
Road Captain

hey yall thanks for the advice i wouldn't do it again reason my engine cases were eggshells cracked three places a risk to fix

Old 09-04-2024, 01:40 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,781 Likes on 11,578 Posts

IMHO, the only reason for getting a shovel is the entire HD package including the HD motor.

Old 09-04-2024, 02:37 PM
1981 suprglide
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
IMHO, the only reason for getting a shovel is the entire HD package including the HD motor.
believe me is Harley still sold a brand-new shovel I would've have bought one especially after a rebuild that went bad

Old 09-04-2024, 09:42 PM
deathrowdave
Advanced
Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

When I was lookin for another Shovel , I found a super nice perfect , hardtail , wideglide . Guy says Shovel , 4 speed kicker . Silly me I go to look and it has S&S engine , I ask to see the title it says 62 FLH . The frame had a home punched tag pop riveted to the frame neck . The engine was nose cone S&S Shovelhead . I took one look it was super nice , no dollars spared . I passed , found 84 Shovel sitting from 1994 . Bought it and rebuilt it . When it was finished I rode it to show the Hardtail guy . He offered his bike and big money for the factory Shovel . To me no Harley Engine no Harley . Some day there will be one more S&S bike than the there is buyer , what are they worth then ?

Dont ever thing S&S is junk they are top shelf stuff , just not for me .

Old 09-08-2024, 04:38 PM
1981 suprglide
Road Captain

I'll Give credit to S&S, they never forgot the shovelhead without them life would be terrible