Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1972 FLH

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 11:04 AM
Shovels & Vettes
Advanced
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 1972 FLH

Hi guys. New to this forum, but not new to Harleys or Shovels. Live in Western PA, and recently decided it was time to buy another Shovel. My previous was a 73 FLH police bike that I over-restored back in 2006, and sold it to a friend when I needed money (and had problems with the wife). So....after years without, I wanted back in, and this time, I wanted to find a very original bike, and plan to keep it that way. I love the FLH bike, and Harley got it right.....no need for me to try and improve it. So....after a little time shopping, I hit the jackpot. Not only did I find a one owner 1972 FLH, I found it 35 miles from my house! The bike was owned by a welder from a small town near Indiana, PA, who died a few years ago. His son had some medical issues that kept him from considering riding a motorcycle,....so he put it up for sale. I picked it up yesterday.

What is really cool, to me, is that this guy bought this bike new back in 1972, most likely from Dubois Harley, did some period correct modifications, i.e. radio carrier, large tour pack, and some basic Harley add-ons, and then drove it over the 26,000 plus miles on it today. The bike is in really nice condition, but will need some cleanup and work from sitting the last few years. My plan is to return it to the factory floor condition as far as accessories....removing all the doo dads, tour pack, fairing, lights, etc that were not on the bike from the factory. I also want a police solo seat instead of the big two-up seat. I will inspect the engine and transmission, fluids, battery, and major cleanup.......but NOT restoring it. I want to retain the patina and original configuration. I have no intention of modifiying anything to "upgrade" it. I want it the way Harley built it. And then......I will ride it....alot. I have a 2004 Road King with 138,000 miles on it,...recently had Hillside Cycle rebuild the engine and upgrade to 98 inch. Owned several other Evo Harleys over the years. I also own a couple Corvettes....hence the usename. But this Shovel is going to be my prize possession.

The pictures below include the bike on the trailer at pickup yesterday.....AND, pictures of photos the son showed me from many years ago.......the little boy in the photos is 41 years old today...so the photo was taken mid 80's. But it shows the exact bike, with most the accessories and mods the father made. I will plan to post updates on this thread as I progress. I am pretty excited to have this bike, and plan to honor the original owner by carrying on the life of the bike.....and finally, I am a shovelhead owner again. IMO......the Shovelhead is THE definition of what a Harley should be....everything else takes second place.

Last edited by t150vej; 07-10-2024 at 04:57 PM.
The following 14 users liked this post by Shovels & Vettes:
86glider (07-11-2024), AJSHOVEL (07-11-2024), Architect (07-11-2024), gonemad (07-10-2024), Joe12RK (07-10-2024), Ken45 (07-10-2024), old mago (07-10-2024), oldbie (07-10-2024), Paintslinger16 (07-10-2024), panheadache (07-11-2024), pgreer (07-13-2024), Racepres (07-10-2024), rockher_man (07-11-2024), StevieMac! (07-10-2024) and 9 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-10-2024, 03:14 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I like the Original Buddy Seat..Lots, the Police Solo??? Not so Much...Plus, everybody has it... For Looks I think the (older) original Black and White Buddy Seat may be better looking...Maybe!! Nice Bike...Have some fun..I doubt that I would change it much at all...Personally

Old 07-10-2024, 03:19 PM
FLHS1990
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Nice 72

Great intro about your Flh. The story behind your purchase is a treasure. Enjoy. Some very knowledgeable seasoned shovelhead wrenches hang here and won't steer you wrong. AMF jokes aside.

Old 07-10-2024, 04:00 PM
76HDflh
Advanced
Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Great looking bike! I’m 100% with you about keeping them stock. I have a 1976 FLH, buddy seat, bags, tour pac and all. I am having a blast going to swap meets, hunting the internet , learning from the manuals and mostly reading/ asking questions on this forum.

The following 2 users liked this post by 76HDflh:
panheadache (07-11-2024), Racepres (07-11-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 04:03 PM
StevieMac!
Cruiser
Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Wow, what a find. It looks really, really good!

Old 07-10-2024, 04:57 PM
Low budget Dan
Road Master

Received 471 Likes on 239 Posts

The bike looks great , and a good write up thank you.
If it were mine I would keep the large period tour pack and the radio. A real time capsule rock it proudly

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (07-11-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 06:47 PM
Shovels & Vettes
Advanced

Thanks for the input guys, and appreciate your ideas, but I know what I like. I got the bike out today, took a bunch of pictures for the record, then gave it a good wash. Then back in the garage,....off came the fairing, radio caddy, tour pack, chrome covers, passenger footrests, pegs mounted on crash bar. Next session.....I will continue bringing it back to the way it came to the showroom. I am not sure is Harley would have put the fairing on on delivery?? But just like my Road King.....I removed the windshield after the 30 miles drive home from the dealer to my garage.....and then road it 137,000 plus miles in the wind....the only way I ride motorcycles. I started doing some rust cleanup on the chrome with 0000 steel wool, and its cleaning up nicely. Whatever "patina" remains will be left as is. The paint is amazing.....the metallic in the blue is awesome, and the finish is like new. Its actually better than I expected and almost TOO nice....but I'll take it. The wheels have some deep rust...so not sure about what to do with that yet.

Last edited by Shovels & Vettes; 07-10-2024 at 07:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Architect (07-11-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 06:53 PM
Shovels & Vettes
Advanced

Things to change.

The S&S carb will come off. I have the original Bendix, which I will rebuild. And I want the internal throttle cable, grip setup. I may have to buy those parts, as I could not find it in the garage the bike was stored. I have the original ham can air cleaner complete....with correct trim...so that is DEFINITELY going back on.....that is classic Harley to me.

The front brake master cylinder is chromed aftermarket,....I will seek out an original

Not sure what to do about saddlebag lids, as I am not a fan of the crome ball rail doo dads....so I may try to find an original set of lids. Or, find a way to fill the holes.....??

The nonsense cluster of lights on the back end is the next garbage to remove, as well as the "luggage rack".and the "mud flaps".

I will be removing all the aftermarket visors on the spot lights and headlight

I am undecided on the front and rear "bumpers".....I have never liked them on Harleys....but they do have some nostalgic appeal on this bike.

I may keep that front fender light, mostly because of the holes drilled to attach it would be left open....unless I can find a clever way to fill them. The light IS a Harley accessory and kinda cool.

I don't think floorboards in 1972 had the "cushion" style pads.....so will convert that back to original.

Once I get the bike back to where I like it cosmetically,....I can deal with cleaning and inspecting the engine, primary and transmission. I will change all the rubber hoses, and install new with proper crimp on clamps. The electrical system will be thoroughly inspected....and if I need a new harness, I will get one. One step at a time, ...and no particular rush. I want to enjoy the process. The bike was running two years go...with no problems that the son knew about,....so I am hopeful after properly preparing it to run again, it will be good to go.

Also.....most of the removed parts will be put on the Classified section for sale....so anyone interested, send me a message.

If anyone has an original front brake master cylinder, saddlebag lids, original throttle mechanism and grip, or a nice Police solo seat (black) for sale....send me a message

Last edited by Shovels & Vettes; 07-10-2024 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2024, 08:49 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,273 Likes on 2,631 Posts

I didnt think 72 had a hamcan, more like an oval on my 72FX

The following 2 users liked this post by hellonewman:
Paintslinger16 (07-10-2024), pgreer (07-13-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 09:43 PM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior
Received 1,770 Likes on 764 Posts

The older pics shows the oval actually, super cool find and close is always good!

Quick Reply: 1972 FLH