Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

The Runout you can't neglect

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2024, 09:22 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,971 Likes on 17,893 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
How many of y'all in the .001" clan, Have re-checked after a few Hard Miles...Or a Weekend at the Dragstrip???
I have found that as long as yer within Harley Spec..may as well leave it alone, As Ours would Move themselves right back to where they Want to Live..Unless welded...which Moves them by the Welding of them!!!

Hard miles, I've spun the output shaft in the wheels just playing on the streets acting a fool and those were torqued to 450 ft lbs with a drop of red. Maybe imagination or not but to me if I invest the time in one dialing the numbers down as close zero as I could get that engine always felt smoother and lived longer than the just get it within factory tolerances and out the door build.

Old 07-13-2024, 07:01 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Hard miles, I've spun the output shaft in the wheels just playing on the streets acting a fool and those were torqued to 450 ft lbs with a drop of red. Maybe imagination or not but to me if I invest the time in one dialing the numbers down as close zero as I could get that engine always felt smoother and lived longer than the just get it within factory tolerances and out the door build.
LOL Not talking about running til Failure... Talking about taking engine Down to see if the wheels stayed perfect...Our never did!!!
No Matter how many times my Partner insisted on putting it back... every time we opened it, it was exactly the same 2 and 3 sometimes even 2 and 4... finally decided that is where it wanted to be...took apart again after many hard Passes...still 2 and 4...Quit stressing about the "Spec"
Set National Records with it ...so Performance unaffected! My "Take" is that MoCo set Specs for a Reason.

Old 07-13-2024, 08:41 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,461 Likes on 2,696 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
LOL Not talking about running til Failure... Talking about taking engine Down to see if the wheels stayed perfect...Our never did!!!
No Matter how many times my Partner insisted on putting it back... every time we opened it, it was exactly the same 2 and 3 sometimes even 2 and 4... finally decided that is where it wanted to be...took apart again after many hard Passes...still 2 and 4...Quit stressing about the "Spec"
Set National Records with it ...so Performance unaffected! My "Take" is that MoCo set Specs for a Reason.
Fine on a race bike you tear apart often and replace cases as needed when you pop it. But with 8 tenths to a thou clearance and 4 thou runout I dont see how that would do it any favours or go unnoticed by machined surfaces long term. Maybe you weren't running tight tolerances?

Old 07-13-2024, 09:17 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,666 Posts

On Race Bike..We run Loose side of Tolerance (spec)
On Street Ridden...shoot for the Middle of MoCo tolerance..
Everyone I know who cheats to Inside Recommended Tolerance...Has Problems down the road.. Some don't even get past Break-in
I still contend that the MoCo knows their Product!!!!

The following users liked this post:
hellonewman (07-13-2024)