Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Changing oil weights

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2024, 07:33 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,299 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Of course it is not in my OE manual, the TC did not exist when my Softail was built.
Right,,,so...why would we believe that a Twinky Filter belongs on our Shovel or Evo??? I have Never encountered Problems using Recommended Equipment...again..The Stealership will sell you Anything for Evo or Shovel...because the real job, is to sell you A Brannny New HD

Old 07-08-2024, 07:40 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,366 Likes on 4,986 Posts

Originally Posted by Racepres
Right,,,so...why would we believe that a Twinky Filter belongs on our Shovel or Evo???
Marty, there are probably thousands of EVO owners who use oil filters with anti drain back valves in them.

Like I said before, when they first came out all the old timers screamed not to use them (despite the fact that the factory said they were an upgrade to the original filter).

The factory is correct, they can and are used by many of us, without the horror stories coming true.

We have argued this before, and no doubt we will again...

Ride safe.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 07-08-2024 at 07:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Spanners39 (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 07:55 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Marty, there are probably thousands of EVO owners who use oil filters with anti drain back valves in them.

Like I said before, when they first came out all the old timers screamed not to use them (despite the fact that the factory said they were an upgrade to the original filter).

The factory is correct, they can and are used by many of us, without the horror stories coming true.
No Horror Stories...But, the Fact is there Have been Problems...I have Witnessed them.. as have others...it is Incorrect... there are Thousands of Harleys running around with Wrong Lubricants, Wrong Gasoline, Wrong Parts of every Chiwanese Descent!!
Sorry but...Wrong is Wrong.. You can put type F tranny fluid in yer Cheby!!! Or Dextron in yer old Ford.. it will still go..But...Water will make yer Automatic transmission Go, too...
Now...We do Know what an ADBV is? and How it is employed?? and thereby Know, it is Not needed nor Desireable on the System of an Older Harley! But Hell...What is just another Restrictiuon....

Spanners39 (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 08:34 AM
FLHS1990
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Lucas Oil Stabilizer

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
We use the 60weight valvoline and i add 1/2 quart of Lucas oil stabilizer to both the engine oil and trans oil shovel / pan and down to the first bike built

1000 people will tell you when you ask about oil something you had not thought of like adding peanuts -

100 machines have come to us over the last year and this is what we do NO ONE has complained and bought what we told them to buy
Thanks John, running Valvoline 50 here, Oregon Coast much cooler except current heat wave, wish to learn benefits you have learned the stabilizer does for the oil.

Last edited by FLHS1990; 07-08-2024 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-08-2024, 08:44 AM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior
Received 876 Likes on 513 Posts

Back when I was running parts store in the early 90s on hot summer days all the guys running pans, shovels, and older Evo’s ran straight 50 or straight 70. I made sure to have at least a case of each every week. Throughout the day on Saturday it would all be gone.

The following 2 users liked this post by Germansheperd:
Ohio HD (07-08-2024), Rains2much (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 09:00 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Germansheperd
Back when I was running parts store in the early 90s on hot summer days all the guys running pans, shovels, and older Evo’s ran straight 50 or straight 70. I made sure to have at least a case of each every week. Throughout the day on Saturday it would all be gone.
LOL
Try to find straight 70 anywhere in a Store today!!!! Lucky to find 60w....I still have a Use for heavy oil...a Very Tired Shovel!! Seems to be Porous as well!!!!

Spanners39 (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 09:37 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 972 Posts

Valvoline VR1 60w

The following 2 users liked this post by Joe12RK:
deathrowdave (07-09-2024), Rains2much (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 03:14 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,807 Likes on 3,006 Posts

No Horror Stories...But, the Fact is there Have been Problems...I have Witnessed them.. as have others...it is Incorrect... there are Thousands of Harleys running around with Wrong Lubricants, Wrong Gasoline, Wrong Parts of every Chiwanese Descent!!
Sorry but...Wrong is Wrong.. You can put type F tranny fluid in yer Cheby!!! Or Dextron in yer old Ford.. it will still go..But...Water will make yer Automatic transmission Go, too...
Now...We do Know what an ADBV is? and How it is employed?? and thereby Know, it is Not needed nor Desireable on the System of an Older Harley! But Hell...What is just another Restrictiuon....

Hey 35 years we used Type F trans fluid in the power glide - reason the f oil grabs the discs with no slip - trust me we tried both and the time ticket that is something your familiar with tells the story - dex slides into gear f type can cherp the tire

Old 07-08-2024, 03:19 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,807 Likes on 3,006 Posts

LOL
Try to find straight 70 anywhere in a Store today!!!! Lucky to find 60w....I still have a Use for heavy oil...a Very Tired Shovel!! Seems to be Porous as well!!!!
1/2 to 3/4 of a quart off Lucas additive - we use it in everything as it proved its self over and over again

invented by a guy who I moved his trucking company into the middle of the USA after the ww2 and running west in the summer was killing his truck engines so he hired chemical engineers to develop a booster for engine oil with reducing heat in mind - Lucas is the name of the product look the guy up on line and read what he did and how

Old 07-08-2024, 05:08 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 803 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
1/2 to 3/4 of a quart off Lucas additive - we use it in everything as it proved its self over and over again

invented by a guy who I moved his trucking company into the middle of the USA after the ww2 and running west in the summer was killing his truck engines so he hired chemical engineers to develop a booster for engine oil with reducing heat in mind - Lucas is the name of the product look the guy up on line and read what he did and how
It is some good ****, I use it 50/50 with Dino 60w in the tranny and half a quart in the 25/60 motor oil, bike has never been so smooth, and the oil stays clean for ages.

Quick Reply: Changing oil weights