Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Riding a Classic Flh with the Banana Calipers Early and Late

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 09:12 AM
FLHS1990
Intermediate
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Riding a Classic Flh with the Banana Calipers Early and Late

Let me start by admitting there are upgrades to the early disc brake calipers before the evo I am well aware and researching those options but for now (the meanwhile) want to ride my Shovelhead 1980 Flh Classic for what it came with. I would like to hear from others restoring and or preserving these old sleds as they came and not out riding the banana calipers; i.e. respecting early iron limitations for what they are. This 1980 came factory equipped on the late 1980 and later square cut seal on the piston that allow the piston to roll out and roll back releasing pressure on the disc.
After the rear piston had an issue where the piston did not release I cleaned, flushed, and rebuilt the rear master to the caliper.
But I left the front alone as it seemed passable. Even added the big anti caliper spring to the front which stopped the rattle which I thought was fork springs.
Recently the front piston failed to return and I had to rock the bike back and forth to release it but it ended up breaking the left side caliper half.
After locating a new front caliper half (The later 1980 part clearly marked with an F) and new square cut o-ring
and seal and rebuilding of front brake master, making sure the tiny compensating port hole is clear I want to try the banana again.
Comments on the 1972-early 1980 spring type return piston and round o ring style banana are welcome to should anybody successfully ride with those. Whether or not they can be used.
Fab Kevin/Tokico, BDL/GMA, PM and any other options and or fabbing my own adapter bracket are different although better braking than what the AMF HD engineers had in mind. Just want to hear from anybody riding with the original brakes and help you could offer.
Pics to follow.

Last edited by FLHS1990; 06-26-2024 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-26-2024, 09:22 AM
FLHS1990
Intermediate
Default My broken left half banana

Originally Posted by FLHS1990
Let me start by admitting their are upgrades to the early disc brake calipers before the evo I am well aware and reseaching those options but for now want to ride my 1980 Flh Classic for what it came with. I would like to hear from others restoring and or preserving these old sleds as they came and not out riding the banana calipers. This 1980 came factory equipped on the late 1980 and later square cut seal on the piston that allow the piston to roll out and roll back releasing pressure on the disc.
After the rear piston had an issue where the piston did not release I cleaned, flushed, and rebuilt the rear master to the caliper.
But I left the front alone as it seemed passable. Even added the big anti caliper spring to the front which stopped the rattle which I thought was fork springs.
Recently the front piston failed to return and I had to rock the bike back and forth to release it but it ended up breaking the left side caliper half.
After locating a new front caliper half (The later 1980 part clearly marked with an F) and new square cut o-ring
and seal and rebuilding of front brake master, making sure the tiny compensating port hole is clear I want to try the banana again.
Comments on the 1972-early 1980 spring type return piston and round o ring style banana are welcome to should anybody successfully ride with those. Whether or not they can be used.
Fab Kevin/Tokico, BDL/GMA, PM and any other options and or fabbing my own adapter bracket are different although better braking than what the AMF HD engineers had in mind. Just want to hear from anybody riding with the original brakes and help you could offer.
Pics to follow.

Last edited by FLHS1990; 06-26-2024 at 09:38 AM. Reason: More info
Old 06-26-2024, 09:43 AM
FLHS1990
Intermediate
Default Guesses on why casting broke?

Also once piston stuck and not retracted pretty sure rocking motorcycle to and from released piston from disc but huge anti rattle spring and rear motion cracked caliper into the two pieces.
Any other thoughts, guesses appreciated.
Disc freed and was able to limp home.

Last edited by FLHS1990; 06-26-2024 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-26-2024, 10:17 AM
FLHS1990
Intermediate
Default Unmolested original paint

Also once piston stuck and not retracted pretty sure rocking motorcycle to and from released piston from disc but huge anti rattle spring and rear motion cracked caliper into the two pieces.
Any other thoughts, guesses appreciated.
Disc freed and was able to limp home.

As you can see I want to preserve an AMF Flh
with the pimples and all. Appreciate your help with no shovel indy near me. Also like to be the wrench spinner myself on the geezer glide.

Last edited by FLHS1990; 06-26-2024 at 10:21 AM. Reason: spell
Old 06-26-2024, 01:19 PM
DeweyCrowe2
Advanced
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a banana on the back and I don’t have a problem with it. I replaced it quite a while back. The holes the pins go into were wollered out. I lubed the pins and slides with copper neversieze. It will slide the tire 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited by DeweyCrowe2; 06-26-2024 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 02:45 PM
FLHS1990
Intermediate
Default Front banana

Originally Posted by DeweyCrowe2
I have a banana on the back and I don’t have a problem with it. I replaced it quite a while back. The holes the pins go into were wollered out. I lubed the pins and slides with copper neversieze. It will slide the tire 🤷🏻‍♂️
Dewey, that is the tips I want to hear from those who appreciate old iron parts. Thx.

Old 06-26-2024, 03:00 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,138 Likes on 2,848 Posts

I did this to my '77 FXS. Best mod ever.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hey Man:
Joe12RK (06-27-2024), Racepres (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 04:19 PM
john lee
Road Warrior
Received 352 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by DeweyCrowe2
my 80 fx rear one works great 1 set of pads since new

The following users liked this post:
FLHS1990 (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 04:21 PM
FLHS1990
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hey Man
I did this to my '77 FXS. Best mod ever.

Thanks,HeyMan I may PM you on the details, costs, set up etc. For now focusing on the front as rear is good to go until failure. Dave

Last edited by FLHS1990; 06-26-2024 at 07:05 PM. Reason: wrong name
The following users liked this post:
Hey Man (06-27-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 04:31 PM
old mago
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,631 Likes on 664 Posts

i have the same brakes. On a disk brake there has to be some sideways movement either from the disc ( as a lot of modern ones are) or the caliper so the pads are square to the disk on contact . . This is what's referred to as floating disc or floating caliper. So as what's been said above the caliper pins need to be lubed in some way , i use a thin smear of copper grease. it looks like the pins are dry to the point of seized. As for the anti rattle clip , i went with the advice given here and cut a piece of oil hose 3/8 i think it was, not to tight so you still have some sideways movement and placed that over the top pin between the fork leg and the caliper to stop the rattle.....PS: nice looking bike you have there, i can see why you want to preserve the factory look

Last edited by old mago; 06-26-2024 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Riding a Classic Flh with the Banana Calipers Early and Late