Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Riding a Classic Flh with the Banana Calipers Early and Late

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 05:23 PM
Scheebs
Intermediate
Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

I am still using the oem calipers f&r on my 78.5 80". As you, I am fanatic about oem.
I totally rebuilt both front and rear brakes 2 years ago using all new rubber from m/c to calipercs. The rear would not bleed up until I replaced the entire m/c with a new part (1 of the few non oem parts on the bike). After that all is perfect.
The front also was hard to bleed up and I needed to replace the piston (another non oem part) to get that one to bleed up. Quirks indeed!
Now my oem banana brakes are firm and stop my bike wonderfully.
With patience you should be satisfied with this old this technology. Heck! The whole bike is old technology!

Old 06-26-2024, 06:58 PM
FLHS1990
Advanced
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by old mago
i have the same brakes. On a disk brake there has to be some sideways movement either from the disc ( as a lot of modern ones are) or the caliper so the pads are square to the disk on contact . . This is what's referred to as floating disc or floating caliper. So as what's been said above the caliper pins need to be lubed in some way , i use a thin smear of copper grease. it looks like the pins are dry to the point of seized. As for the anti rattle clip , i went with the advice given here and cut a piece of oil hose 3/8 i think it was, not to tight so you still have some sideways movement and placed that over the top pin between the fork leg and the caliper to stop the rattle.....PS: nice looking bike you have there, i can see why you want to preserve the factory look
Old Mago, I am not clear about what caused the crack in my broken left half banana, but good news is I have 2 complete Late 1980 fronts marked F on the side on the way to go through, so very happy, But I will try your oil hose idea to minimize the rattle effect and run without the big round spring. And you are correct as why I want to preserve it and enjoy it for what it is. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-26-2024, 07:25 PM
FLHS1990
Advanced
Default 0ld technology for our older iron Scheebs

Originally Posted by Scheebs
I am still using the oem calipers f&r on my 78.5 80". As you, I am fanatic about oem.
I totally rebuilt both front and rear brakes 2 years ago using all new rubber from m/c to calipercs. The rear would not bleed up until I replaced the entire m/c with a new part (1 of the few non oem parts on the bike). After that all is perfect.
The front also was hard to bleed up and I needed to replace the piston (another non oem part) to get that one to bleed up. Quirks indeed!
Now my oem banana brakes are firm and stop my bike wonderfully.
With patience you should be satisfied with this old this technology. Heck! The whole bike is old technology!
Sheebs as you might imagine I was reluctant to ask about my problem on an open forum with such differing opinions about personal brake choices with our Hogs, but I had to take a chance and am glad I did with replies to my questions. Owning a Shovel is often a trial and error, solitary problem solving approach but the forums have shortened the learning curve, a big positive in my humble opinion. My mistake was not going entirely through the front system before hitting the pavement perhaps it could have prevented a failure.

Old 06-26-2024, 09:13 PM
old mago
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,723 Likes on 705 Posts

well this is interesting my 1982 flh ( had 3900 mils on it when i got it) has the early type caliper on it looking at the parts catalogue as you can see no bolt where the anti vibe spring goes. didnt Willie sort all this out in '82 ?

Old 06-27-2024, 06:37 AM
FLHS1990
Advanced
Default Finish drill from the backside

Maybe this will help. Original 1980 produced Feb. of
1980 from the Moco Archives. I learned that I needed to finish the hole cast from the inside ez pezee.

Old 06-27-2024, 08:35 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,603 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by DeweyCrowe2
I have a banana on the back and I don’t have a problem with it. I replaced it quite a while back. The holes the pins go into were wollered out. I lubed the pins and slides with copper neversieze. It will slide the tire 🤷🏻‍♂️
I found that a piece of 1/2" (?) copper pipe made a great replacement sleeve when I repaired mine. Wound up switching it for a softail 4-piston caliper a year later.

Old 06-27-2024, 09:25 AM
DeweyCrowe2
Advanced
Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
I found that a piece of 1/2" (?) copper pipe made a great replacement sleeve when I repaired mine. Wound up switching it for a softail 4-piston caliper a year later.
I forget what I used but I re-bushed mine too before I replaced it.