Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Wet or Dry Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Timboto
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet or Dry Clutch?

I hate to be a pain but I have a few more questions... I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row!!

I lot of the Allen heads on the screw to my derby cover are rounded off so it is going to be difficult to remove it, but I will get to it...

With this info I'm hoping I can figure out if I have a wet or dry clutch...
According to the manual I picked up today stock my bike came with a dry clutch, does this mean I do not have to put oil in through the derby cover??

When I drained the oil from the bottom of the primary, VERY LITTLE came out, I would think that either there was no oil in there or it IS a dry clutch?!?!?! Correct??

The person I bought it from said he put a high performance clutch in.. just by putting high performance clutch plates etc in.. would that make it a wet clutch??

The reason I'm asking is because he is telling me it is a wet clutch, but I'm thinking maybe he THINKS it is a wet clutch when in fact it is not!??!?!

Tim

Old 08-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,265 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Default RE: Wet or Dry Clutch?

Prolly is dry,Barnett and a few others also I'm sure make a wet or dry clutch plate kit and that is most likely what is in there.
Some guys remove the oil mist line for oiling the chain and replace it with a short hose and breather and then plug off the return line hose at the bottom of the case to keep junk from the clutch and primary out of the engine oil.
They just add a little oil or ATF to lube the chain,just enough to reach the ring gear for the starter to pick up and sling the lube on the chain.
Look at the back side of the inner primary case to see if the hoses are still hooked up.
If it's stock you don't need to put any oil in the primary case.