Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Replacement transmission opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 06:08 PM
ATM67
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement transmission opinions needed

I have a '78 FXE w/ a 4 speed. A local indy shop owner is recomending I go to a 6 speed. As I've said in previous posts, I'm all for that. He is offering me a Jims 6 speed for $2400 + my old tranny. Baker Transmissions run around $3500. Is the savings of $1100 worth it, or will I be likely to encounter headache after headache? Is quality of Jims good? If so, as good as Baker? One concern I already have is that I have a LSD and Jims website only mentions a RSD for the 6 speed.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Greybeard Bob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Replacement transmission opinions needed

Whats wrong with a 4 speed? I love 'em. Unless its ready to puke, I'd leave it alone. Just my .02.....

Bob
89 FXSTS
78 shovel

Old 08-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Timboto
Advanced

How is the 4th gear geared compared to the 5 speeds of the newer Harleys? Is there a big difference in the gear ratio? I know the 6 speed makes a difference with the new bikes...

Old 08-24-2007, 06:54 PM
71 shovelhead
Cruiser

4th in a 4 spdand 5th in a 5 spd gears are 1:1 so no difference in top end rpm , 6th in a 6 spd is overdrive,now if anyone knows of a 4spd with overdrive let me at it

Old 08-25-2007, 09:23 AM
ATM67
Intermediate

Baker says "Our Shovelhead 6-speed overdrive has a 1:1 5th gear and a .86 6th; good for a 500 RPM reduction in cruising RPM on the highway." Jims says, "... first gear being close ratio 2.94, and the last four being the same ratio as a stock 5-speed. 6th gear goes to a .86:1 overdrive." Jims also mentions that the use of 6th gear makes for a 500 RPM drop at 75 MPH. I recognize that cost savings does not always equal true savings.

So the question for me remains, which is the better buy? Jims 6 in a 4 @ $2400 + my old tranny or Baker 6 in a 4 @ $3500 (give or take)?

As for the condition of my current tranny, I offer you this... I went riding with a friend last night, and he said "I know you want to ride, but park it until you can get it fixed!" Sometimes, it won't shift up into gear. Let me tell you, it is thrilling to be out riding with a few of the guys and listen to them ride off as you fight to get into 4th, all the while losing speed. AND... Recently it has started to refuse to drop down into 1st. It "shifts", but nothing hooks up. I grab my clutch, stomp down (the tranny clunks like I have put it in gear), rev my engine and release the clutch, but I don't go anywhere, over and over again. That leaves me sitting at the light that just turned green, pissing off everyone behind me. I can kick it up into second, race the motor and ease away from the stop, but what a pain that is (to both me and my motor). So, if that's what Greybeard Bob means by "Unless its ready to puke...", I would say it's puking and it's time for a new transmission.

I have no interest in a 5 speed. I plan on putting alot of highway miles on and would make use of the overdrive. I have a 35+ mile drive one way to work, and all but about 9 of those miles are on 4 lane divided highway.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:13 PM
71 shovelhead
Cruiser

scuttlebutt around the shop is hd went back to a 5spd because they had some real issues with the current 6spd I beleive its made by Jims

Old 08-25-2007, 05:12 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1100 bucks should cover the items needed to rebuild your 4speed at worst case,maybe even much lessdepending on what is found good/bad.Your bike probably doesnt have the oomphfor a 6speed.And yes Bakers trans are very good.Regear your 4speed or final drive to fit your riding style.A shovelhead with the right parts will run very well.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Bootsy
Novice

It is a lot of mony what we are talking about. In my opinion I would stick with the 4 speed and rebuild it with the gearing you like. If you are going to spend some money better spend it wise, you work hard for it and can spend it only once.

A couple of weeks ago I found an add on ebay where they offered an 3" belt drive, plates, electric starter, ground plate for a 5-speedand a 5 speed Baker tranny for something like $2300,-. The problem is I can't seem to be able to find the ad. anymore. I know it is an American company.
I have been lookin g for it the last hour.
I know it's out there but can not find it anymore (this will solve all your problems, and save you money).

What the indy offers you sounds a lot like a ripoff. Ask him if he wants to kiss you, I always like some foreplay before i **** someone ;-).

Regards Bootsy

Old 08-27-2007, 10:11 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are not interested in a heavy 1st gear launch, Put a 24T main drive sprocket on the 4 spd. I've done it to give an effective overdrive in 4th. My Evo had no trouble starting in 2nd gear before the switch so unless you are drag racing the higher ratio 1st gear is no problem. I don't shift to 4th til 55mph and cruise comfortably from there to 80. Works for me!

Old 08-27-2007, 12:42 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What is the cost to rebuild the old 4 speed? That is what I would do.

Quick Reply: Replacement transmission opinions needed