Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Replacement transmission opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:03 PM
ATM67
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Replacement transmission opinions needed

OK... so let's say I rebuild and regear my 4 speed... Here are the two things I am looking for from its performance. 1) Fuel economy at 70+ MPH, included in that would be a reduction in RPMs and the subsequent reduction in vibration. 2) Not pissing off the guys I ride with. These are two friends I have had for 25+ years. They both ride late 90's model rice burners - touring bikes, not crotch rockets. One of them loves to launch his bike, the other goes along with it. I slow them down already. The other rides with the Widows Sons, a Masonic riding association, and I will be petitioning to join both of those groups, the Masons and the Widows Sons. If I am accepted, I am sure there will be plenty of rides I will want to take with them. In which case, I won't want to **** off the guys I'll be riding with and I will want to get the best fuel economy I can, while reducing vibration as much as I can.

With these two goals in mind and assuming I rebuild and not replace, what would be the best set up, drive and rear sprockets and ratios for each gear when I rebuild my 4 speed?

Also, I found a Baker 6 speed w/o a kicker for $2825 and another one w/ a kicker for $2980.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had many a high performance shovel before purchasing my current ride. One thing that I could not destroy on my 88" S&S 73 FXE was the transmission.When we built the engine the tranny was rebuilt totally with new bearings and Andrews guts. Had that bike until 1978 when I finally bought my first new Harley, a black FXS.

Do yourself a favor and check out the Andrews website for what is available for your 4-speed.I heardthat Ralph C. has left Andrews, but tech assistance is only a phone call away. Andrews parts are discounted by some of the online retailers like J&P and so forth. Best of luck with your decision.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:01 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go with the 6 speed, you willlose the launch if you gear up the 4 spd but the 6 will give you a good low gear and the low rpm cruise you want. No way to get both out of the 4 spd. You didn't mention the jammin' group in your first post. Before I geared mine up I was drag racing it. Vibs increased quite a bit over 70 mph. I cruise 70-80 without hitting the heavy vib range but it's pretty slow off the line compared. Good luck!