Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

AM I CURSED??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 10:22 AM
sdbull65
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AM I CURSED??

ok last post i changed the pushrod o rings back to cork and leaking to a minimum now but after last little ride i notice my rear jug is leaking right where the top and bottom meet, head bolts seem to be tight though, do i need to replace the gasket or is this something really bad?

also how noisy are these shovels anyway? i have a 77FXE 500 miles on new rebuild and after the first 100 miles i have noticed a good amount of noise coming out of the top end, more noticable on the left side and at higher speeds, sounds like a tapping or knocking noise, i have check the push rods they are adjust fine , what else could it be?

Old 08-21-2007, 10:42 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: AM I CURSED??

Give some more info. Right off I'd guess your leak is in the rear of rear cyl. If that's the case, there is an oil passagethat drains the top end and exits on the piston skirt thru the cyl to lube it. The head gasket should be sealing that passage from head to cyl, if not you'll get a leak. Can't be cured by torquing head bolts.First assure the leak is there and not coming from the rocker box above it.

Are you sure your knock is mechanical? Could it be pinging under load at speed? Is it possible you are just overreving it? Do you have hydraulic lifters or solids?
A little more info would help. Will help if I can.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:53 AM
sdbull65
Novice

rear cyl.. pretty sure its not comming from rocker boxes. its not a "pinging" sound somthing like a "clatter" or something it's noticable after engine is warmed up, not when it's cold, i don't think i'm overreving it and i have solids.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:15 PM
crampfan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you let the rebuilder listen to it? you might have hurt a piston. The first 500 miles are the most critical as the pistons need to be run in, and things get very hot when new. Most of the time I have seen problems with burned pistons is in the first 500 miles. I hope this is not the case.
The headbolts will need to be retorqed after about 500 miles, we also retorq. all the bolts that have a gasket under them. (rocker boxs, cam cover, ect.) it's a little more work but makes for a very long lasting engine.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:22 PM
sdbull65
Novice

no the rebuilder live about 8 hours away, i was very carful the first 500 , never going over 60mph and only short rides, about 10-15 miles befor letting it cool down, changing the oil after first 100 then 500 miles and all of the head bolts seem to be tight

Old 08-21-2007, 03:41 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a shovel that cracked a piston, you would know it, it smoked a whole lot. I am suspicious of the solid lifters, the clearance will change a little once warmed up. If adjusted right cold, you should have no play but be able to twist them in your fingers easily. If there is any play it will be magnified when it warms up and you will hear a clicking sound, especially at higher revs. This will not hurt anything unless the play is excessive. Check it out, keep in mind shovels are not quiet engines to start with. If the noise is from the left side it is likely piston ring chatter, some is OK especially on a new rebuild, if thats it it should be less after you've broken it in. Hope this helps.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:37 PM
crampfan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to pick up a mechanics stethoscope and just listen around. Solid lifters will make some noise when the engine is warm. But in your OP you stated that the noise started after about 100 miles, the valve lash in most cases willtighten up as the valves bed in. Some flywheels (S&S) do not use thrust washers to keep the rods centered, and will be very noisy at times until the rods find where they want to be, and stay there. It's so hard to figure things out over the interweb. good luck