Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

What valve seals do you have on your shovelheads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2023 | 06:32 AM
FXWG'80
|
Advanced
Default What valve seals do you have on your shovelheads?

1980 FXWG 80"
Cylinders are WISECO 4293 +0.010 with HASTING rings +0.010
the valves have been cleaned and lapped

I made several attempts, with different valve seals and collars.

1.first setup
I mounted the MANLEY valve seals, for evolution, with the original collars, without removing the step.
I've had this setup for 5 years, no oil issues or anything.

I disassembled the engine to paint the frame
Same pistons with new rings

2. Isecond configuration
I mounted the MANLEY valve seals, for evolution, with the original collars but removing the first step.
White smoke and cylinders are wet with oil.Oil in the exhaust and in the carburetor manifold

3. third configuration
I mounted the original valve seals (brown intake and black exhaust) for the shovelhead, with the original collars intact.
White smoke and cylinders are wet with oil.Oil in the exhaust and in the carburetor manifold

I have noticed that the valve seals are not touching the lower collars.it's correct?
the exhaust valve guide does not have the same height as the intake one, it is more raised on the spring side.Why?

The first setup is the only one that hasn't given me any problems but all the mechanics have advised against the first setup and suggested the second.Other shovelhead owners use the third configuration.

What do you think?

Old 02-05-2023 | 07:01 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

When you removed the step you lowered - this had nothing to do with whats going on

the seals posted are teflon in a tin seal - we do not use those - i dont care they worked before > that was luck

the all rubber top seals in blue or red is what we use

SO you machined the .562 guide top to .420 - note shovel valve stem is 3/8 and evo is 5 /16 - your explain needs some kind of re do

measure the seal shown bottom inside for reference

draw out how you referenced the rings - top second and the 3 piece oil - what locations - and did you use moly top ring or cast iron top piston ring set

the abundance of oil in the heads - ring seal maybe valve guides worn and or seals not installed correctly - or the cylinders were taper worn and not sealing as well

Last edited by johnjzjz; 02-05-2023 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-05-2023 | 02:44 PM
FXWG'80
|
Advanced

Thank you johnjzjz

I checked and actually I mounted the first time the valve seals (1979-1984) , taken from a shovelhead engine gasket box, but the second time they gave me 1984 UP gaskets making sure me they were the same.

Could installing the wrong seals, 84 Up instead of 1979-1984 or the obsolete ones (the seals posted are Teflon in a tin seal) justify the oil leak in the cylinders?

I mounted these rings:

PISTON RING SET BY HASTINGS № 61-901

• fits 1340cc Shovelhead
  • cast iron / steel, compression rings with hard chromium faces
  • Over-/Undersize: +0.010 ”
  • nominal bore: 3-1/2 ”
  • compression ring height: 1/16 ”
  • oil ring height: 3/16 ”
  • replaces OEM 22335-78B
W&W Cycles - Piston ring set by Hastings (wwag.com)

I checked the piston and cylinder tolerances, and they are OK

I have used this scheme

Old 02-05-2023 | 03:11 PM
84 Shovel
Cruiser

I really wanted to use the OE teflon K-Line seals but after multiple attempts I couldn't get them to seal properly, smoke and oil on back of intake valve. I switched to Cometic seals with the spring p/n C9424-1. I did have to open up the lower spring seat I.D. slightly so the seal body would slip inside and fit all the way down on the guide. The Cometic's have been trouble free for a couple years now.

Last edited by 84 Shovel; 02-05-2023 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-05-2023 | 03:27 PM
FXWG'80
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by 84 Shovel
I really wanted to use the OE teflon K-Line seals but after multiple attempts I couldn't get them to seal properly, smoke and oil on back of intake valve. I switched to Cometic seals with the spring p/n C9424-1. I did have to open up the lower spring seat I.D. slightly so the seal body would slip inside and fit all the way down on the guide. The Cometic's have been trouble free for a couple years now.

Thanks for your experience, I'll try to find them

Cometic seals with the spring p/n C9424-1 what year are they specific for?

Old 02-05-2023 | 03:27 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Yea common thing to open the early lower retainer the late ones usually fit over the seal but we have modded the hole just a bit so its not a squeeze to fit

Old 02-05-2023 | 05:06 PM
84 Shovel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FXWG'80
Thanks for your experience, I'll try to find them

Cometic seals with the spring p/n C9424-1 what year are they specific for?
The seals are for valve guides that are .623 O.D. My heads are still stock as from H-D and the guides have a shoulder that fits the I.D. of the lower spring seat. When I opened up the I.D. of the spring seat I only did the top part and left the bottom of the hole alone so it would still match the valve guide shoulder. Below is a link to a thread I made at harley tech talk about the issue with pictures, at the end I said I was going to use K-Line seals but that didn't work for me. I used a dremel tool to open up the hole in the seat.

https://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index...tml#msg1326527

Edit* My Harley factory parts manual lists the valve guide seals for Late 81-on Shovelheads with seal p/n 18000-81 for the K-Line teflon seals. The Cometic and James gaskets positive valve seals cross to the factory part number.

Last edited by 84 Shovel; 02-05-2023 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2023 | 01:47 AM
FXWG'80
|
Advanced

Ok I will throw out the obsolete valve seal.

I only found the ones for 1981 up
18000-81

I need for 1980, I think the collars are different

I don't want to do the job a fourth time

Old 02-06-2023 | 07:08 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Don’t use the tin seal and have the valve to guide inside measurement done to make sure what your doing is going to work

Old 02-06-2023 | 08:08 AM
Professor Fate
Tourer
Veteran: Navy

Just out of curiosity, what cam are you running?

Quick Reply: What valve seals do you have on your shovelheads?