Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

This might be the one.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2022 | 01:09 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by IronAss
Trying to brief with an answer to your question while at the same time, trying to be the private guy that I am.
There are two factors that made me decide to not pursue buying this bike.

First. reason.
Over the past 10 years, I bought two new motorcycles without so much as mentioning to my wife that I was even considering doing so.
She handled the 1st time pretty damn well but the 2nd one almost caused her to spontaneously combust and in retrospect, I can understand why.

After my crash 3 years ago, I told her that I really need to ride and wanted to get back on two wheels.
She went along with it and we agreed on a budget with regard to what I would spend on a replacement which OH By the way, was enough that I could have bought a new Dyna.
She also asked and I agreed to the condition that if I buy a subsequent bike, the money for it must come from the sale of whatever I own at that time.

Although I felt that my bike would sell for enough to cover the cost of the the bike that is the subject of this thread, I also know that time is of the essence here and if I put mine up for sale the Shovel will more likely than not be gone before I could possibly get mine sold.
My plan was to borrow the money from ourselves, buy the shovel, sell mine, and then pay the ourselves back.
She will not agree to that plan and I respect that.
After doing a little market research, I think that like so many, I probably have a pie in the sky idea regarding what my bike is worth and I would probably be lucky to get enough from the sale of mine to cover the cost of the shovel.

In my past, referring to me as a man of my word would have been a gross overstatement.
That is no longer the case and I now pride myself on being, a "man of my word".
I can not in good conscious mislead or outright lie to my wife.

The second reason is.
The seller has after just a couple days on CL, reduced the price he is asking by $500.00 and rephrased the wording of his ad in such a way that it makes me think he is getting questions that he is either unable or, unwilling to answer.

That's it in a nutshell.
Run Forest Run.

Old 08-16-2022 | 11:45 AM
IronAss
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I see the listing has been pulled.
​​​​@johnjzjz did you buy it?

Old 08-16-2022 | 06:28 PM
Redrodyankneck
Stellar HDF Member

[QUOTE=IronAss;20776015]I see the listing has been pulled.
​​​

Sounds like you were looking for a reason NOT to buy it. I always change things up when I'm selling on CT or CL, you can read into it anyway you want.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022 | 07:20 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior

Until I found my next ride, I was driving my relatives and probably folks here on the forum crazy with possible options. I'd get all hot and bothered on a particular bike, but then for whatever reason, it didn't work out or the "feelin" went away. When I rode off on my current bike (and yes, there was a thread about it), it just felt right. Can't describe it, but everything fit, even if there were a few things I needed to address. When the right one finds you, you'll know it, and it'll just fit. Good luck on the search!

Old 08-17-2022 | 02:27 AM
old mago
Stellar HDF Member

i always say the bike finds you

Old 08-17-2022 | 07:26 AM
IronAss
|
Seasoned HDF Member

[QUOTE=Redrodyankneck;[url=tel:20776825]20776825[/url]]
Originally Posted by IronAss;[url=tel:20776015
20776015[/url]]I see the listing has been pulled.
​​​

Sounds like you were looking for a reason NOT to buy it. I always change things up when I'm selling on CT or CL, you can read into it anyway you want.
I didn’t have to look for a reason.
My wife provided it for me.

Old 08-20-2022 | 09:40 AM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by IronAss
... makes me think he is getting questions that he is either unable or, unwilling to answer.
I have been hard on the market for the past three months having recently sold my two bikes. Your statement right there has been the most frustrating part of it.

Old 08-20-2022 | 09:55 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by gonemad
I have been hard on the market for the past three months having recently sold my two bikes. Your statement right there has been the most frustrating part of it.
The problem with selling a bike or car is the ratio of idiot time wasters to serious buyers will be very high. Difficult to weed out the serious ones, the seller is worn down and fails to answer more of the same questions over and over.

I approach buying from the other direction and its worked so well I'll continue doing it my way. Most of the bikes I have came through me placing a want ad for a specific bike with a photo example and that Im willing to pay accordingly. It's also gotten bikes out of the woodwork that I wasn't asking for. Asked for a siren for my 62 FL restoration. It got me the siren plus a 41 UH, a 46 EL and a 48 EL all from a siren want ad. Other ads have yielded other great scores too. Because the seller doesn't have the bike advertised and my ad gets seen, it makes them think and then they reach out. Our conversation is one on one and he's coming in fresh with a good attitude towards me. Why wait for one to pop up for sale that might never get listed when you can request one?

The following 5 users liked this post by hellonewman:
BB.No8 (08-20-2022), gonemad (08-20-2022), hvacgaspiping (08-20-2022), old mago (08-20-2022), Uncle Larry (08-20-2022)