Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

shovelhead frame identification help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2022, 09:57 PM
2001SOFTY
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default shovelhead frame identification help

my son bought me this frame for fathers day to start a long wanted shovelhead project unfortunately he got it with no paperwork i need help figuring out any info about this frame like, what year, model can the casting numbers mean anything no vin block but stamped steering stem and the most peculiar is a Maltese cross under the steering neck. The state of Texas has told me its not on stolen file but cant find any record of this id number being registered or title after 1987 tank tabs were cut off and there's no markings on the upper motor mount. Thanks

trans mount

Old 07-09-2022, 07:35 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,081 Likes on 17,943 Posts

Didn't you do a thread on this already ?

Old 07-10-2022, 05:15 AM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain
Received 330 Likes on 198 Posts

It looks like a mid/later-75 to 76 model frame.

On the steering head, forging number 47591-35A was introduced around late-68 and it was used for some time. On the other side the forging die number looks like 58. It’s followed by a forging hallmark which may be DIF (in a square) representing Interstate Drop Forge, maker of the steering head.

I don’t know what the cross indicates but I’ve seen similar markings before on one H-D part or another. It may have been stamped by an inspector?

Upper rear forging number 47645-65-Y was introduced around 73.

Lower left rear forging number 47654-73 and lower R-H rear forging number 47652-73 were both introduced about mid-73. Notice at the back of these forgings there are single-hole blocks to accommodate passenger footpegs. These blocks help indicate the frame is somewhere from about mid/later-75 to 76 inclusive.

In your other thread it was said that the footboard tab says it was an FL frame. But I disagree because I have examples of that footboard tab on 75–76 Super Glide frames as well as on FL frames.

Are you sure there are no markings on the upper motor mount? What side were you looking at? For a mid/later-75–76 model frame I’d expect a date code on the left side of that mount in the area highlighted below. If nothing there, please check further down that mount, near the slot.

The swingarm is 73 or later due to it being square-tubed. (Big Twins 58–72 had a round-tube swingarm.)
Eric

shovelhead frame identification help-zrielc3.png

The following 2 users liked this post by Speeding Big Twin:
Architect (07-11-2022), eighteight (12-19-2023)
Old 07-10-2022, 05:14 PM
2001SOFTY
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Eric thank you so much for the info one other question will I be able to build an flh bike with this frame? I’m guessing yes but I just wanted to ask thanks again

Old 07-10-2022, 06:35 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by 2001SOFTY
Eric thank you so much for the info one other question will I be able to build an flh bike with this frame? I’m guessing yes but I just wanted to ask thanks again
You can with some fab & welding a few things that's missing like the rear tank mount tabs on the backbone and the floorboard mounts on the bottom of the frame, everything else is just bolt one stuff.

But as I informed you in the last thread on this the neck numbers boss has been screwed with and the bikes been issued what's called a blue tag or a state supplied ID number. You should do the dance with the local cops, highway patrol or whatever agency your state has for ID inspections to be sure you CAN use the frame before you get busy spending another dime on it.

Ignore this advice at your own peril my friend. They tend to get kinda wound up about this stuff depending on the local laws you have.

Old 07-11-2022, 03:07 AM
magnum45pete
Road Captain
Received 381 Likes on 231 Posts

with a starte issued tag it was possibally a stolen & recovered bike at one time & will never be worth as much to a buyer as one with good factory numbers,
I wouldnt spend a fortune on it unless I planned to keep it & as Twizted says, do the dance with the local DMV/Cops before spending any cash on it,

The following users liked this post:
smitty901 (07-14-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 03:30 AM
Speeding Big Twin
Road Captain
Received 330 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001SOFTY
You’re welcome and yes you can build an FLH with that frame. Some companies like Wasco Frame Service sell tank mounts etc. You won’t need a tab on the frame for the back of the left footboard because it usually bolts to the aluminium primary for an FLH.
Eric

The following users liked this post:
AJSHOVEL (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 07:24 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Speeding Big Twin
You’re welcome and yes you can build an FLH with that frame. Some companies like Wasco Frame Service sell tank mounts etc. You won’t need a tab on the frame for the back of the left footboard because it usually bolts to the aluminium primary for an FLH.
Eric
Wrong, floorboards take two mounts per side, the rears of both sides are on the frame.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:30 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,463 Likes on 2,783 Posts

Unless you are getting the frame for free, probably not worth the effort as Twisted has pointed out. Mid to late 70's frames are $1500, go find one that has not been hacked and has good usable numbers.

Even for free you probably will be upside down by the time you get her welded up, never mind DMV.

Old 07-11-2022, 02:20 PM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 11,149 Likes on 4,354 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Wrong, floorboards take two mounts per side, the rears of both sides are on the frame.
Better re-check that mon frere.

The following 2 users liked this post by AJSHOVEL:
Racepres (07-11-2022), Speeding Big Twin (07-12-2022)

Quick Reply: shovelhead frame identification help