Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

How’s this ratchet top look?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 01:24 PM
Newintown
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How’s this ratchet top look?

I found a pretty good deal on a 1977 ratchet top (X date code) in the town I’m traveling to for work tomorrow, but I’ve never bought a transmission or even really looked at one outof a frame. I see where there’s been some chewing of the aluminum around the sprocket, but is that too much of a concern? Anything else stand out? I plan to give it a thorough look before buying, brakleen off the grime to look for cracks/welds. Are there any spots that these cracks/repairs would typically be present?

Old 08-21-2021, 02:14 PM
coax9952
Cruiser
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

My Opinion, You're looking at 44 years of Rode hard, put away wet...… They all look like crap. Rule of thumb: They WILL need pulling apart, and worked on..... It all depends on Price out the door. Knowing you're going to have to put some $$$$$ into it. The only thing you can tell from the outside? Does it still Hold OIl?

Old 08-21-2021, 02:20 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,350 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Pics are from my 78 FXE

Check around mainshaft and countershaft holes and look for cracks. Check the dog ears on the right side and look for cracks. I would walk away if there are cracks on the former; the latter with a good welder can be repaired easily enough.

On the lid you are looking for any cracks or breaks on any of the holes that attach the lid to the tranny. Again, a competent welder cand fix that problem

Flip it over and look at the shift drum, then rotate it thru all four gears. It should be a smooth transtition.

Look at the gears inside the tranny as well. Put the shift dogs in neutral and slowly rotate the mainshaft and countershaft. The gears should similar to this (tranny has 35K on it). You are also looking inside the box for metal pieces that might indicate the gears have been buggered.

Lastly I would flip it over and look at the 4 studs that attach the case to the tranny plate, the fifth hole that attches the tranny to the frame and the oil plug drain hole. Any inidication the studs have been replaced with oversize studs? Any indication the fifth mount hole is stripped? Any indication the oil plug drain hole is stripped out and/or replaced with an oversized plug?

Old 08-21-2021, 02:34 PM
Newintown
Intermediate

Just realized I didn’t actually attach the photos I meant to show. Are the “dog ears” the parts that are chipped up in this third pic?

Old 08-21-2021, 02:37 PM
Newintown
Intermediate

For what it’s worth, he’s asking $850. Substantially less than most I’ve seen on chopperswapper etc, but if the chipping here is of major concern, I might not want it after all.

Old 08-21-2021, 03:49 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,868 Likes on 3,027 Posts

Pass on that one it will not mount up right and will crack the inner primary < as the last small piece with brake off under being tightened against the inner primary

its also a front wheel speedo unit and most likely an FX just like the one pans has shown - FLH and FX first gear is lower for the extra weight of a dresser

Old 08-21-2021, 03:54 PM
Newintown
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
Pass on that one it will not mount up right and will crack the inner primary < as the last small piece with brake off under being tightened against the inner primary

its also a front wheel speedo unit and most likely an FX just like the one pans has shown - FLH and FX first gear is lower for the extra weight of a dresser
would you still take that position knowing I would not be running an aluminum inner primary? If nothing else, maybe worth it if I could get him to lower his price to something that reflects it needing a new case? Would definitely never be running a speedometer off it either. It’s definitely off an FXE.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:13 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok on the rear section u can see the platform that mounts the inner both from and back have been busted off -

what happen stupidity - a crash - maybe both — will picture up a good case so you see what’s up - pm me if you need more info

Old 08-21-2021, 06:14 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
The following users liked this post:
Vec (08-21-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 08:39 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

The tin case in the top one

Quick Reply: How’s this ratchet top look?