Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Suddenly not wanting to start

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 09:29 PM
old mago
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,704 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by 80Glide
Usually takes longer then a week for this but any chance your exhaust is plugged. Like mice filling it with dog food or something
Gosh ..i will have to remember that one !!

Old 02-11-2021, 07:10 AM
Baird
Club Member
Received 1,098 Likes on 454 Posts

did the fuel from the pump keep the fire going?

Old 02-11-2021, 07:27 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Don't start ripping into the carb till you've done some more diagnostics, pull the fuel line at the carb and make sure it has a steady flow, blocked petcock screens are common. Check the ignition, points & advance if you have them. Pull the plugs, oily ? dry ? color ? Intake as John said. Good spark at the plugs ? How old are the plug wires ?

Eliminate everything else BEFORE dicking with the carb.......

Old 02-11-2021, 07:34 AM
hseidel
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

No, not likely where I live but I did slide a wire up there just to check. All clear.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:36 AM
hseidel
Cruiser

Im going to pull the carb off, clean it, and rebuild it this weekend. If nothing else, I need to familiarize myself with the process. At least I will know that it is completely good to go afterwards. Will check all connections at the manifold as well.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:41 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

How are you going to know it's good if everything else hasn't been eliminated first ? Kind of a cart before the horse deal troubleshooting here.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:44 AM
hseidel
Cruiser

Forgive me for being ignorant as I am quite new to this but, if I tear down the carb and rebuild it, shouldn't the carb be all set removing that as a possibility of being the problem?

Old 02-11-2021, 07:55 AM
hseidel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Don't start ripping into the carb till you've done some more diagnostics, pull the fuel line at the carb and make sure it has a steady flow, blocked petcock screens are common. Check the ignition, points & advance if you have them. Pull the plugs, oily ? dry ? color ? Intake as John said. Good spark at the plugs ? How old are the plug wires ?

Eliminate everything else BEFORE dicking with the carb.......
Pulled the fuel line, all clear and good flow.
Electronic ignition, both plugs are brand new and have a strong spark when grounded.
Plug wires are brand new. Installed about 2 months ago if that.
Plugs when checked this time look slighly wet and a little darker than "sand" colored.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:35 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,846 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Originally Posted by hseidel
Pulled the fuel line, all clear and good flow.
Electronic ignition, both plugs are brand new and have a strong spark when grounded.
Plug wires are brand new. Installed about 2 months ago if that.
Plugs when checked this time look slighly wet and a little darker than "sand" colored.
when going after the carb take notes of the mixture screw in the top center of the carb then do not change the idle screw the one twards the rear of the bike and the acc pump mixtute screw do not move that as well this way once cleaned it it will be adjusted back to the exact spot you started from and you have reference if and when you change it

we sonic clean carbs only real way

make sure the carb - manifold and air filter assembly has a bracket to support it

aircraft type clamps for the intake are a gift to have and we use hylomar on the seals when installing

Old 02-11-2021, 08:49 AM
hseidel
Cruiser

when going after the carb take notes of the mixture screw in the top center of the carb then do not change the idle screw the one twards the rear of the bike and the acc pump mixtute screw do not move that as well this way once cleaned it it will be adjusted back to the exact spot you started from and you have reference if and when you change it

we sonic clean carbs only real way

make sure the carb - manifold and air filter assembly has a bracket to support it

aircraft type clamps for the intake are a gift to have and we use hylomar on the seals when installing
Thanks for the tips, I will make note of where things are and not disturb them. Now that I am think about it, I dont recall seeing any kind of support bracket on the carb currently. I will double check when I get home though.

Quick Reply: Suddenly not wanting to start