Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Exhaust Setup Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 06:16 PM
Gappy
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Exhaust Setup Question

I would like to know if there are any advantages - disadvantages on dual crossover pipes vs. true dual pipes.

A person I met had a 1980 flhtc with true dual exhaust. We both had the same type of muffler. Frankly, I liked the sound of his bike, it sounded more shovelhead than mine for lack of words. I am thinking it is his exhaust set up, it was a more crisper independent exhaust note. My is a more blended balanced sound. Or maybe he has a cam that makes it sound that way and either exhaust systems would have nothing to do with it. What are your thoughts and is is either dual exhaust system better than the other.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:36 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,807 Likes on 3,006 Posts

No difference and his could of had a small cam in it - that changes everything

Old 01-31-2021, 08:05 PM
Gappy
Advanced
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks John , I guess my exhaust is just fine the way it is. My bike is going in to have the cam replaced and possibly a new lifter set. The guy I use said the cam lobes looked a little frosty when he did the top end and would need this done before I do any serious riding on it. Maybe I will talk to him about cam selection. After this is done the bike will be totally road worthy and I will do anything that needs done. I just wanted to have this bike start out fresh.

Old 02-01-2021, 05:32 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

The Andrews cam A2 is what we will only use as it was set to deal with the unleaded fuel we are using

it makes all its power from idle to around 4200 RPMs - thats the bikes driving range you could also just install new S&S lifter rollers on your lifters the way we do it

Old 02-01-2021, 11:51 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 107 Posts

IMO, your stock system tends to dump both cylinders through the right muffler which does blend the exhaust note. True duals will separate the cylinders and generate more of the potato potato sound. It takes a healthy cam to make much of a change at idle and most likely will not idle low. IMO high compression will make the loping sound of a V-Twin more pronounced. I run true duals on my 81 FXB and like the sound however I believe low end torque is lost when using a true dual.

I also run V&H Power Duals on my 2013 FLHTK. It has a crossover where the stock converter was. (Similar to your setup but a race collector Y) I run Woods 555 cams in it. Most people say I lost the Harley lope with the Power Duals. Similar to yours it tends to use the right muffler and has a merged note unless I get on it.

Old 02-02-2021, 06:58 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,398 Likes on 2,753 Posts

2 into 1 debate will last forever.

When the bikes came with crossovers, True Duals where a performance upgrade.

When running dual pipes, Two into One Supertrapp type pipes are a performance upgrade.

See a pattern here? I am not going to go as far as say snake oil, but exhaust manufacturers will tell you that the opposite of what you have is a performance upgrade.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:15 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Architect
2 into 1 debate will last forever.

When running dual pipes, Two into One Supertrapp type pipes are a performance upgrade.

See a pattern here? I am not going to go as far as say snake oil, but exhaust manufacturers will tell you that the opposite of what you have is a performance upgrade.

untill you have a highly modifed engine and a chassis dyno power in the tune is visuable