Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Will my front axle/wheel fit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2020, 06:10 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,342 Likes on 1,518 Posts

Clearances are tight but looks exactly like mine

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (10-29-2020)
Old 10-29-2020, 07:14 PM
Lowoilpressure
Tourer
Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

It ‘looks’ like you have a little more room on the speedo side - the right as you sit on the bike- than the left. But with that, you’re left side clearance is just like mine.

Giving this some thought, I think I’m good. I didn’t take a picture of the numbers on the rim but it is OEM which I like and made in Italy. It has a date mark of 08’ I’ll shoot a picture of it later. I think, but don’t know, that this might be a wheel for another bike but it looks nice, is real shiny, and it fits so I’m keeping it.

I said the fender won’t fit but I don’t have an OEM fender nor do I have the tire yet. The tire arrives tomorrow. Since this rim is is the right width I have to assume that an OEM fender will fit once II buy one.

I haven’t researched how a tubeless tire is leak proof with the spokes nor do I know if I should put the tire on myself. More homework. The Harley book shows how to cram a tire on a rim so I ‘spose I can do it too.

I love this bike.

-lowoilpressure.
Tom

Old 06-08-2021, 01:05 PM
jrm21
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Star hub wheel

Hi, I may be interested in your star hub wheel if you didnt use it, Thank You

Old 06-09-2021, 09:38 PM
Lowoilpressure
Tourer

Since this thread is back to life, I thought I would give a final update on the new front end.
Everything is great! The new forks, wheel, rotors, brake all fit nice and the bike looks like it should. I had all the tins painted and put a new badge of honor on the tank. AMF since that’s what it is.
Bike runs good but I still have a few gremlins to work out. Something is causing the engine to cut out, electrically related and I just got to find it. Happens on a whim and starts again soon after. I think it’s a connection somewhere. I’ll find it. The bike really purrs at 65, its happy spot.

79 FXEF

Next year might be new pipes, maybe a top end rebuild since I don’t know what’s it looks like inside. I’m just going to keep nipping away at this thing. Lot’s into it and some more to go. Need the original tank dash but I’m done for this year. Time to ride.

Last edited by Lowoilpressure; 06-09-2021 at 09:43 PM.
Joe12RK (06-09-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 07:41 AM
sbrmike
Road Master

Received 626 Likes on 337 Posts

You may need to use some cut up inner tubes between the seat pan and the circuit breakers. I had a Superglide that would cut out in the rain. I always thought it was the plug wires or coil getting wet. Then it started acting up on a dry day on a bumpy road and I figured out what the problem was. A few layers of bike tube and never happened again.

Lowoilpressure (06-10-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 03:22 PM
fergerburger
Road Master
Received 179 Likes on 102 Posts

if you are not running blinkers you can rewire the bike easily and fix all the electrical demons - you can run an FX on 4 or 5 wires if you are clever

Lowoilpressure (06-10-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 09:35 PM
Lowoilpressure
Tourer

Originally Posted by sbrmike
You may need to use some cut up inner tubes between the seat pan and the circuit breakers. I had a Superglide that would cut out in the rain. I always thought it was the plug wires or coil getting wet. Then it started acting up on a dry day on a bumpy road and I figured out what the problem was. A few layers of bike tube and never happened again.
Dude, I just want you to know that i think you nailed it!
I have discovered that the breakers on the rear fender were digging into the fabric under the metal plate on my seat and shorting out.
I had the tins repainted and I think when I reinstalled everything, the breakers are now sitting just a hair higher than before. I can see cut marks in the fabric where the nuts on the breakers dug into the seat and hit the metal. You were spot on and I thank you!!!!!
Tom

Old 06-12-2021, 09:38 AM
Lowoilpressure
Tourer

Originally Posted by fergerburger
if you are not running blinkers you can rewire the bike easily and fix all the electrical demons - you can run an FX on 4 or 5 wires if you are clever
I do have the blinkers off the bike. Yeah, not much to wiring these old shovels. Points, coil, ignition switch, headlight and a few others. Nothing like the nightmare my ‘14 Ultra would be if that ever went south on my. Sheesh!
Tom