Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

81 FXS - Brake Light Troubleshootibng

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 09:08 AM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 81 FXS - Brake Light Troubleshootibng

My front and rear brake switches are wired, but are currently not working. I put my multi meter on the posts of the rear switch and with key on, I have 12v which tells me the switch circuit is closed and that might explain why the tail light is so bright. If I'm interpreting that correctly, where should I look next. Rear pedal is firm and mechanically work.
Thanks
Nick

Old 09-19-2020, 09:30 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,329 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Two things come to Mind... First is always which side of Brake light switch(s) is 12v... If Both switch is either bad .... or the other switch is Active or... Wired Hot someplace..
Unhook rear switch, Brake light on or off... [ BTW I do Not run with Lights always on, so I can easily eliminate what light I am seeing]..If rear unhooked and Light still On, open right handlebar switch housing and Carefully go over the Brake Switch and Wiring.. If brake light goes out with rear unhooked, try front, if it don't work... either fix or maybe Ignore your choice.. Rear switch stuck On is either bad hydro brake system... Not releasing pressure, or Bad Switch itself..
Remember either brake switch activates the light. Also remember 12v needs to go accross either switch to light light..

Old 09-19-2020, 11:32 AM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer

Thanks Race. Did some checking and found that the front and rear orange wires have 12v so those look like they are wired correctly. Unplugging both reveals that both filaments of the bulb are lit when the lights power on, so it seems like there is something going on with the rear tail light wiring.

Old 09-19-2020, 11:37 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nick Sorgio
Thanks Race. Did some checking and found that the front and rear orange wires have 12v so those look like they are wired correctly. Unplugging both reveals that both filaments of the bulb are lit when the lights power on, so it seems like there is something going on with the rear tail light wiring.
Or the Bulb Socket... even Bulb itself...

Edit; I do recall working on one once that the tire had rubbed the tail/brake light wires... the owner simply wrapped them up.. like one single wire when he was done... Hidden pretty well by wire loom and tape... That took a minute to find....

Old 09-19-2020, 02:49 PM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer

Looks like it was the bulb. Found another couple of bulbs in the bins and one worked. Looks like the tail light and the brake light wiring are good and both switches are bad. Thanks again.

Old 09-19-2020, 02:55 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Looks like it was the bulb. Found another couple of bulbs in the bins and one worked. Looks like the tail light and the brake light wiring are good and both switches are bad. Thanks again.
Bad??? As In Non functional shorted or open??

Old 09-19-2020, 03:04 PM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer

If I touch the red and orange wires together bypassing the front and rear brake switch, I complete the circuit and the brake light goes on, so assuming those switches are not working.

Old 09-19-2020, 04:46 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

If I touch the red and orange wires together bypassing the front and rear brake switch, I complete the circuit and the brake light goes on, so assuming those switches are not working.
You got it... kinda hard to believe Both are bad... But.. **** Happens... Mostly, I thought, to Me!!!!
you are doing this at both front and rear switch correct??? as either one makes light go On
Sorry If I seem condescending... I just do Not know your mindset...and I am sure you are getting exasperated!!!

Old 09-20-2020, 07:19 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,419 Likes on 2,764 Posts

Check the tail light socket. They get all corroded and filled with old dielectric grease, rust etc. 60 seconds with a wire brush and some new grease usually fixes weird tail light / turn signal issues. Maintenance issue at the end of the day, the new bulb may have just had a cleaner base. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2020, 06:41 AM
Nick Sorgio
Tourer

Confirmed both were bad. Installed a new front and rear brake switch and brake lights are both working. Thanks