Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Thinking about a NEW rat rod build...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2023 | 09:42 PM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

Put about 70 miles on the bike, and still working out a lot of bugs. The new main seal is slightly leaking, and our concern is the S&S pump has too much pressure. On a cold start the PSI needle gets pinned at 60 - but as it warms up it stays around 20. We are going to replace the seal and hope that solves it.

Only other thing I'm scratching my head over - the bike can NOT be started with the kicker. The 4 speed tranny was completely rebuilt with Jims gears, so everything is new. Although it seems to be turning the motor, it's seems a tad sluggish. No matter what I try, the bike wont start or even sputter. Hit the starter and it fires immediately. Almost like the clutch is not fully engaged?

Old 05-23-2023 | 06:22 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Two issues

1 we when the oil pump is being up dated to the S&S - i remove the pressure spring that is an EVO engine style and could be a hi pressure hi volume oil pump totally not what is going to work in some shovels -
the original oil pump is a -68 no letter and its spring is closer to the iron oil pump in pressure ( remember the early engines only needed flow not pressure and spit oil out what it does not have the ability to control ) so i will try and remember to get you the part number for the early spring < first thing to do
2 - the thing you will need to help to do is the excess air from back entering the engine buy using a PCV type valve close to the bottom engine vent < its the excess air and its overwhelming of the venting system that will blow every seal in the engine all the time — and route the hose up and over the oil tank works also

will try to picture up the 2 things i talked about - they had in the past made a correct replacement oil pump but today that is gone and your using a big block Chevy oil pump on your lawn mower kind of thing so you need to become creative to control its volume

Old 05-23-2023 | 10:17 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

- install the plastic ram jet retainer and the alloy plate and your clutch issues are no more

Ok the number for the PCV 40-0875 from v twin - we use and go to Harley and buy the brown umbrella valve for the top rocker box # - 26586-89 original number of the original dont have the new number

If your clutch could use some help - we use red alto discs and remove the ball and springs today most steels done come with them anymore

The following 2 users liked this post by johnjzjz:
Ken45 (05-23-2023), TwiZted Biker (06-01-2023)
Old 05-23-2023 | 02:45 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
-
Ok the number for the PCV 40-0875 from v twin - we use and go to Harley and buy the brown umbrella valve for the top rocker box # - 26586-89 original number of the original dont have the new number
What umbrella valve are you referring to on a shovelhead rocker box?

Old 05-23-2023 | 03:27 PM
MarkSG
Cruiser

Amazon Amazon
About anything you can use as a light valve to prevent it pulling back in.

Old 05-23-2023 | 04:21 PM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hellonewman
What umbrella valve are you referring to on a shovelhead rocker box?

I believe he's referring to something like this:

https://chiangmaiperformance.com/pro...umbrella-valve

Old 05-23-2023 | 04:25 PM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

John - I really appreciate the input. I will look into getting everything you mentioned, and see if it improves. We were going to change the main seal tomorrow, but I probably should hold off until I adjust the oil pump and install the breather valve first... maybe that will cure the leak?!

Let me know when you get the right number on that spring.

THANK YOU John...

Last edited by Spumoni; 05-23-2023 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2023 | 04:53 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Pm me i have them the spring in stock can send you have to buy 10 we keep in stock

the umbrella for the PCV comes with a junk china part - the OEM dealer has a very good valve we use i dont think i have any in stock but will look

Old 05-23-2023 | 05:56 PM
old mago
Stellar HDF Member

ive done the PCV valve thing John has mentioned.....works a treat, no leaks at all on my 80"

Old 05-23-2023 | 07:11 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Spumoni did you see this is happening but its far north for me but the guys are considering it

Quick Reply: Thinking about a NEW rat rod build...