Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Thinking about a NEW rat rod build...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2020 | 07:39 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

the S&S may be a little too hot for my taste.

that idea falls flat on its face when the other guys in your riding crew run over the top of your bike and it ends up with a nick name your not happy with

no one said you have a hot motor that only means you use it every second - only when it becomes obvious they are sizing up a pecking order

​​​​​​​and that is actually what is going to happen - but you might not care - aaahhh not me i care

Old 07-23-2020 | 05:54 PM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

I may be holding back on some of the S&S stuff, my friend who owns the shop is talking me out of the 1300 dollar S&S flywheel. He said if I send the OEM crank out to get redone, it will be just as reliable as a new S&S. As for the S&S cylinders, he thinks the originals are the way so can keep the original patina. The only downfall with the Evo style hydraulic kit is that I will have new style lifter blocks which will stick out like a sore thumb. But I’m sure I can find a way to make them look old.

Old 07-23-2020 | 07:24 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

no the ones we did we use the shovel look in the lifter blocks - while the evo blocks would need to be modded for the different angle you then run into pushrod issues

ok - i will say yes it will make more power then a shovel set up -- but its very pricy dont believe the morons who will say it does not - maybe they are related to bill gates who knows -

for my money your guy is on target - build a near stock power plant most guys today have been using the andrews A2 cam for a shovel and have no regrets

8 1/2 compression only in a shovel if you want it to live - even with s&s evo pile you wont out run a 883 5 speed sporty converted to 1200 - 1991 to 2002 best bobber for the coin if all you do is ride every day year in and out - they are that dependable - want some snap buell S 1 cams and a modded CV - thinner .030 head gaskets - and its a terra

back to the shovel - let you guy help you utilize all the right pieces that gel - your doing an andrews trans - put the money into a good after market clutch complete kit and belt drive - 2 inch is fine 3 inch you will need more pairs of dungarees or left leg bottoms - spend the zoom on the visual along these lines i think is what your looking at

The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (05-30-2021)
Old 07-23-2020 | 07:56 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

wrong picture some how posted up - oh well

many look close to this type machine my guess this is a version your after - its all in the pieces picked - simple - stock frame and early swingarm - engine and trans cone era

DanHappy (05-30-2021)
Old 07-24-2020 | 04:59 PM
Dark Eagle
Novice

Wow, nice bar topper!

Was wondering which Shovelhead forum has a good community, looking like this one is it!

Old 07-27-2020 | 08:38 AM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

Thanks John - not sure I understand, are you saying the S&S hydraulic kit may not fit the stock shovel motor? And is there another kit I should be considering that looks more like the original (shovel lifter blocks)? Not crazy about the looks of the S&S lifter blocks on a stock patina's shovel motor. Keep in mind I'm more interested in reliability and less mx than I am performance.

Seems like he Andrews cams are the way to go based on the recommendations. Tatro Machines recommended the ev27 for more normal riding. I will research them all before I make a choice.

Ended up paying a bit more than expected for the tranny, but it's still cheaper and better than buying a replica. It should be shipping to me today - $1650 for a 4 speed OEM case, ratchet top and kicker. All new Andrews inside, including the o-ring final drive gear. He's been sending pictures of the whole process.

Old 07-27-2020 | 05:16 PM
john lee
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
wrong picture some how posted up - oh well

many look close to this type machine my guess this is a version your after - its all in the pieces picked - simple - stock frame and early swingarm - engine and trans cone era

just for show ? thats not rideable for me.cool bike tho

DanHappy (05-30-2021)
Old 07-28-2020 | 02:57 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

i did not have a picture of shovel / can lifters next to an evo lifter and i dont believe you can bore the shovel block out that much and retain strength

reason i said S&S evo / shovel lifter blocks < and S&S was not looking to exact copy infringement stuff maybe - the small one is shovel

Old 07-29-2020 | 09:53 AM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

Hey John, thanks for sending that picture. I didn't realize there was that much of a difference in size. Still need a little clarification - the S&S hydraulic kit will not bolt directly on the shovel? Is there another kit you recommend? (I'm assuming the whole advantage of going to a more modern hydraulic kit is for more reliable top end oil circulation).

Old 07-29-2020 | 05:50 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

its just a re direct of the oiling system - it was external now internal - what one is better - some of us have ridden the same stock parts shovel - some with strokers and or big bore 100,000 miles - so if the evo conversion makes it last 13 feet more i guess its worth the thousands you need to spend to get that happening - but no one knows except the guys selling the kits how long they last my guess you are told forever - the few we were involved in are bar rockets and they are any day now the call will come in its in pieces in the middle of the street - HELP

dont want to **** on your parade but reinventing the round wheel has been tried more then once

Quick Reply: Thinking about a NEW rat rod build...