Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Thinking about a NEW rat rod build...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020 | 08:47 AM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

I guess that makes sense. Thanks for all the help everyone - this place really is a wealth of info.

Old 07-11-2020 | 09:46 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by Spumoni
Ok - just to recap, it sounds like everyone is saying the standard S&S will be the more reliable option. Since I’m concerned more about reliability than performance, I’m not interested in anything with high compression, so that’s out of the equation. Second choice would be to rebuild the original shovel with EVO parts.

If I include a 1200 dollar deduction for the sale of the OEM running shovel, then option 1 and 2 cost about the same. However I think option two would hold more value since it would be a numbers matching bike.... but does that matter since this will be a custom and NOT original regardless? For example, my shovel picture below has the original motor and frame - but does that matter since nothing about this bike is original?
Interesting location for a mirror, I could see myself leaning down and forward to see what's behind me only to run into whatever's in front of me!

Old 07-12-2020 | 09:29 AM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

Ok thanks for setting me straight on that. This is why I like to have my ideas challenged by a smarter group.

Now I’m leaning towards rebuilding the original shovel with S&S parts instead of getting the whole engine - this way I’ll have a matching bike, and the original patina.

Finally found the FLH I was looking for on Craigslist - only a few hours away. 1976, running, mostly original looking. Agreed on $4800. Just found out it doesn’t have a ratchet top tranny - instead he’s calling it a turtle top which I’m assuming is the same as the cow pie. I told him I needed to pause and do some research first.

Even though my rat bike build plan will be FAR from original, I like the idea of using the original motor, so now I really want to rebuild an original ratchet top tranny. Not sure how much effort it will take to locate the correct ratchet tranny case... I’m wondering if I’m better off looking for another bike?

Last edited by Spumoni; 07-12-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-12-2020 | 09:42 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spumoni
Ok thanks for setting me straight on that. This is why I like to have my ideas challenged by a smarter group.

Now I’m leaning towards rebuilding the original shovel with S&S parts instead of getting the whole engine - this way I’ll have a matching bike, and the original patina.

Finally found the FLH I was looking for on Craigslist - only a few hours away. 1976, running, mostly original looking. Agreed on $4800. Just found out it doesn’t have a ratchet top tranny - instead he’s calling it a turtle top which I’m assuming is the same as the cow pie. I told him I needed to pause and do some research first.

Even though my rat bike build plan will be FAR from original, I like the idea of using the original motor, so now I really want to rebuild an original ratchet top tranny. Not sure how much effort it will take to locate the correct ratchet tranny case... I’m wondering if I’m better off looking for another bike?
Having Both... I would not let that dissuade me... even tho Not original..the cowepie was since ??? 1979 me thinks..
worst part was the linkage, and I doubt you were gonna use that "as stock"

Old 07-12-2020 | 09:42 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Riders Club Member

If everything else meets your criteria you could always sell the cowpie, no shortage of ratchet top transmissions for sale.

Old 07-12-2020 | 11:25 AM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Interesting location for a mirror, I could see myself leaning down and forward to see what's behind me only to run into whatever's in front of me!

I was really proud of that mirror location - when the kickstand is down, the mirror is out of the way. When the kickstand is up the mirror goes right into place. It’s just good enough for me to tell if cars are behind me. Nothing more...

Hardest part was getting kickstand stop drilled for the mount. Super hard steel. Need special bits for that one.

Old 07-12-2020 | 02:16 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

they make re pop usa cases - lids and correct looking reinforced kicker covers

Old 07-13-2020 | 12:28 PM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

Just bought that 1976 FLH. Told seller to keep the bags, got the price down a lot further. Hopefully I should have it within the next week or so (dealing with payment, uShip, etc.).

Only snag is that tranny - looking into all options. Jim’s doesn’t make a kicker. Ultima’s look good, but rather keep it American.

Called S&S and priced out all of the upgrades for that shovel rebuild. The parts cost as much as the whole bike (to be expected I guess).

The following 2 users liked this post by Spumoni:
Architect (07-13-2020), DanHappy (05-30-2021)
Old 07-13-2020 | 01:33 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

What is wrong with the kicker on it???

Old 07-16-2020 | 05:39 PM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Racepres
What is wrong with the kicker on it???

According to the seller, It's a cowpie tranny - I'm pretty sure the 76's all had ratchet tops. I found a guy that rebuilds 4-speeds, so he's making me the correct type using all the OEM cases, but all the innards will be Andrews for about the same price as buying a cheap replica. I think he said something about changing the first gear to 2.66?

Bike should be delivered tomorrow hopefully. Called S&S, and will probably go all the way with the rebuild of the original motor. I think this is definitely a better idea than a new S&S motor. I get to keep the patina (aside from new cylinders) - not interested in performance, just reliability and like the idea of matching numbers.

Plan on getting the S&S flywheel, cylinders and pistons, new cam, hydraulic kit, roller rockers, and oil pump.. etc. Someone recommended the Andrews E27 cam for normal riding... the S&S may be a little too hot for my taste.

The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (05-30-2021)

Quick Reply: Thinking about a NEW rat rod build...