Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Thinking about a NEW rat rod build...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2023 | 06:56 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Switch the plug wire locations and see if it moves the miss to the other plug - if not its that plug

The following users liked this post:
98hotrodfatboy (09-22-2023)
Old 09-22-2023 | 07:16 AM
flhchaz
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I had the same issue with this ignition. Make sure that you have the dip switch to dual fire. (also the static timing need to be set at tdc of the compression stroke)

Old 09-22-2023 | 04:57 PM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

Tried everything with the Ultima ignition. The bike would not fire right no matter what we did. We checked verified TDC with a degree wheel because we were beginning to think the S&S crank may have been marked wrong, but it was spot on. So we put the Compu-Fire ignition back in, and it fired right up. However, when clamped the timing light on the plug wire, it started misfiring instantly. (This happened in the very beginning with my first set of wires, so I replaced them with larger diameter). Not sure if that had anything to do with the Ultima ignition failure, but I don't think so.

Pinging was improved, but still there. After setting the timing curve back a few clicks, the pinging stopped. I think I'm at number 3 which is less aggressive (range is from 1-8)

Only problem now, I can't kick start the bike. Not sure if there is a solution to that or not.

Old 09-22-2023 | 06:57 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

I am sure the issue is something simple - something over looked - or something incorrect

we must have bought 500 of those ignitions over the many years and never did i have one not work - yet i had one we sent back after years of service the red light for setting the timing burned out and they sent a new one free

the trigger cup - two different ones are in the mix - the early 1980 silver cup its timed different then the later - -90 gold cup i have never got the two mixed up so i do not know what happens when you do - but if i were to guess the cup is in play

yet i do not understand the timing light shuts off the cylinder when you hook it up - what kind of wire is in these plug wires - carbon ribbon - or is it a steel core

you need to look -

Old 09-22-2023 | 08:27 PM
sbrmike
Road Master
Veteran: Army

johnjzjz, thanks for that post. I had an Ultima 53-644K ignition in my 1984 Shovelhead. The instructions said I needed to replace the silver cup with a gold one. I ordered a gold cup and then I ended up having to use the silver cup. Either they left that part out of the instructions or I missed it as far as earlier bikes needing the silver and not gold.

Old 09-22-2023 | 10:55 PM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

John - I feel the same way, I really think this is something simple.

I ended up getting a new "gold" cup just like the instructions state:

“This Ultima Ignition requires the gold colored timing rotor used on 1983 and later EVO motors (HD part no. 32402-83). The earlier silver colored cup will not work properly. Bikes originally equipped with points (except distributors) or early electronic ignition will accept the later model cup without modification.”

These are the piug wires I'm using: https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/produ...orange-tracers

Old 09-23-2023 | 07:12 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by sbrmike
johnjzjz, thanks for that post. I had an Ultima 53-644K ignition in my 1984 Shovelhead. The instructions said I needed to replace the silver cup with a gold one. I ordered a gold cup and then I ended up having to use the silver cup. Either they left that part out of the instructions or I missed it as far as earlier bikes needing the silver and not gold.

i never ran into that using a silver on a early engine - in his case we would try that as something is just not right - and yes the abundance of 53-644K units were evos in the 90s. - today the only cone engine we see is a shovel as the crew from then all bought into twinkles in 99 on -

i do have a box of silver cups we kept for what ever reason —-

i also thought they had the switch on for single fire but the picture does n0t show that - its not around the corner from me or we would have been involved

i will say this its becoming almost impossible to help over the key board as the parts today we see are not made right - the once reliable company’s that supplied us over the many decades are out sourcing to Taiwan - china - Bangladesh - and $hit hole india and alike - many times lately i have picked something up and i take a double take i can feel its not right - temperature - weight - color - smell - visual - something is off - i guess i am doing this too long

The following 2 users liked this post by johnjzjz:
Architect (09-25-2023), jimessbee (09-23-2023)
Old 09-25-2023 | 07:39 AM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

Put some miles on the bike over the weekend. Tried bringing the main back up from a 64 to a 66, but that high RPM "warbling or fluttering" came right back, so I put it back the the 64. Even with the 64 I have a little bit, but like John said I won't go to a 62.

Ignition wise, it's running great - found a curve on the Compu-Fire that eliminates all pinging. Still not able to kick start but I noticed the same Compu-Fire in a "KS" model, so I will likely try that, or try the Ultima ignition again.

QUESTION - in either case (new Compu-Fire or Ultima) should we try going to a SINGLE FIRE coil?

Last edited by Spumoni; 09-25-2023 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-30-2023 | 06:13 PM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

Ended up installing the Compu-Fire kick start ignition - left everything else as is. Bike runs exactly like before, but now I'm able to kick start it... but barely. When the bike was partially warm, we tried kicking it over and there was ZERO response, to the point where I called Compu-Fire and they said the ignition could have been mislabeled. But by chance I got it to kick over, but not consistently, yet. When I had the mechanical advance, the bike started on the first kick no matter what. Im sure I'll figure something out. Funny thing is, it fires on the first kick when cold (two prime kicks with choke on).

Old 09-30-2023 | 10:54 PM
sbrmike
Road Master
Veteran: Army

apples and Oranges for sure but my kick start Ultima was wicked, down right evil when warm or hot. You just gave a little push on the kicker wherever it was and it would fire. Any attempt to position the piston to compression woud result in a fart and then a bear to try and clear that out. Try just kicking it wherever it is at when warmed up.

The following users liked this post:
Spanners39 (10-01-2023)

Quick Reply: Thinking about a NEW rat rod build...