Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Thinking about a NEW rat rod build...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020 | 02:59 PM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

Thanks for the eBay link - I’m pretty certain that’s the route I’ll end up taking if I go this route. The listing just ended, but those things show up now and again. Instead of a rolling chassis, I’ll look for a 4500 dollar running FL. Pull the motor and tranny, sell them as is. Plop in the S&S motor and baker, then work on the seating, general config, and patina.

Love that swine flu rat bike - the real deal!

Old 07-03-2020 | 03:08 PM
Harleylife1
Outstanding HDF Member

Very nice machines indeed! You don goooood sir!

Old 07-03-2020 | 06:23 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

This is the type of guy he is talking about

The following users liked this post:
old mago (04-12-2021)
Old 07-07-2020 | 04:52 PM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser
Default Tranny?

I’m still trying to work out the logistics of this rat build - I called S&S and they were very helpful, and it looks like their basic shovelhead is the route I’ll take. The tranny on the other hand is causing me more grief. I called Baker today - also very helpful. The two choices for me are the 4 speed, or the 6 into 4 - both with kickers, both in natural finish. Prices are $3400 and $4400 hundred respectively!

I’ve always preferred the idea of a 4 speed. The price is better, and it looks the part. The 6 into 4 will stick out at least 2 inches on the right side making exhaust fitment a challenge, and to get the natural finish side and top cover it’s extra.

I know there are less expensive alternatives than baker, and rebuilding the original 4 speed is also an option, but I wan’t absolute reliability, and NO LEAKS. My current shovel has a rebuilt original tranny with the special o-ring that stops leaks, and it’s 99%, But that 1% still hits the chain, and all of my shirts get sprayed.

Would it be crazy to pair a 4 speed baker with a new S&S shovel motor? The guys at S&S said that for any long distance cruising, the bike will be at higher RPM’s. I was also told that 4 speeds generally wear out quicker due to more side strain from being under constant load - not sure if that’s a concern with a new Baker?

Last edited by Spumoni; 07-07-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-07-2020 | 06:18 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

OK i will bite this question

if you don't want or have a phobia about a little oil on a riding shirt you need a gull wing - stop it oil is the ultimate badge of honor - and we sell a perfume called O DAY LUBE for the twinkie riders so they can smell like us at the harley davidson dealer boutique haberdashery buying under wear that say eff housework

OEM original 4 speed transmission has a 2 1/2 inch bushing inside of Hi gear that rides on the transmissions main shaft - SO DOES - andrews hi gear and BAKER hi gear

and at some time in the future they will all leak ((( its not IF its WHEN ))) because you can does not make it better with more money - think on that

The following 4 users liked this post by johnjzjz:
FL54 (07-08-2020), old mago (04-12-2021), Racepres (07-08-2020), Ytcoinshooter (08-10-2021)
Old 07-08-2020 | 06:00 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

All I got to say is put more Harley in your Harley Davidson

Not sure why you would start with shiny new parts to build a Rat bike, you going to add fake dirt and grease!?!?!?

Sorry man, but that is missing the point

The following 4 users liked this post by Architect:
bagga (07-08-2020), Buelligan666 (08-09-2023), M Oclaf (06-09-2023), Racepres (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020 | 06:56 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Architect
All I got to say is put more Harley in your Harley Davidson

Not sure why you would start with shiny new parts to build a Rat bike, you going to add fake dirt and grease!?!?!?

Sorry man, but that is missing the point
I thought the same thing. rats take a long time to develop they just don't happen. my shovel has seepage, it doesn't have leaks. I try to keep the mechanics of it in good shape so if there was a major leak that caused a huge oil spot I would repair that. having a belt primary helps to keep major leaks to a minimum.

The following users liked this post:
Racepres (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020 | 07:07 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by bagga

here's mine. it hasn't been washed in nearly 30 years.

Is that bike in riding condition? If it is, how often do you ride it? How old are the tires? I couldn't neglect the detailing that much. My bike was in the parking lot at work in the rain yesterday. Took me five minutes to wipe it down. I haven't "washed" it all summer, but I'm going to soon, because the wheels look like crap.

I like the OPs rat idea with new drivetrain. Street Rodders do that all the time. All go and no show, is better than all show, and no go.

Old 07-08-2020 | 07:37 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

OP I hope you aren't thinking of something like this, a patina'd paint job on a new bike:

Old 07-08-2020 | 07:55 AM
bagga
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ron750
Is that bike in riding condition? If it is, how often do you ride it? How old are the tires? I couldn't neglect the detailing that much. My bike was in the parking lot at work in the rain yesterday. Took me five minutes to wipe it down. I haven't "washed" it all summer, but I'm going to soon, because the wheels look like crap.

I like the OPs rat idea with new drivetrain. Street Rodders do that all the time. All go and no show, is better than all show, and no go.

it's not in riding condition now. the brakes need to be rebuilt....I have all the parts for that. it hasn't been rode in a few years. the front tire is pretty new but the rear could be changed. I kind of lost interest in it because it has the typical Shovelhead ride......meaning it's fun but it sucks. my 85 is kept up very well. if anything goes wrong with that it get fixed imediatley but I don't go overboard in keeping it spotless. it gets a couple cleanings a year.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a NEW rat rod build...