Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Thinking about a NEW rat rod build...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2023 | 06:17 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

3 things might be at play — that ignition - low jetting and acc pump

the acc pump and the low speed = 295 low speed and turn the acc pump one full turn in - if it stumbles a bit leaving a light then turn it counterclockwise only 1/4 turn each time just at the point its not hesitating - see what that does your close you might end up with a 70 and the 295 when the dust settles

be patient - pay attention - i hate that ignition if i. Find them in a bike we throw it away i dont care if it works it really does - only give you headaches

if you deside to replace the ignition PM me

Old 08-27-2023 | 07:48 AM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

I thought for sure you were going to say to try the 64 main - I have a feeling that would solve the problem, but it seems like that's pretty small for a shovel. I will PM you about the ignition.

You think I should go back to a 295 even though it needs to be 2.5 turns out?

Old 08-27-2023 | 12:06 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

If the ignition is not up to its ability and not putting the correct bang for the buck into the coil then - your low on intensity and that is what a spark plug lives for

jetting becomes an every day different thing depending on weather - we see that with the antique machines when they buy the china copy ignition coil

some on the site have learned the china stuff is really for holding an aquarium guppy to the bottom of the fish tank

Old 08-27-2023 | 03:35 PM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

Got it. I'll replace the ignition - I already PM'd you about that. I won't bother jetting anything until that's done.

One other note - when we did the initial timing (before we installed the S&S cases) as soon as we clamped the timing light to the plug wire, it started shorting out and firing out of whack. We assumed it was a bad plug wire and eventually replaced the plug wires. Could that have screwed up the coil - trying to jump the gap... maybe?

Old 08-27-2023 | 03:39 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Spumoni
Got it. I'll replace the ignition - I already PM'd you about that. I won't bother jetting anything until that's done.

One other note - when we did the initial timing (before we installed the S&S cases) as soon as we clamped the timing light to the plug wire, it started shorting out and firing out of whack. We assumed it was a bad plug wire and eventually replaced the plug wires. Could that have screwed up the coil - trying to jump the gap... maybe?
I think John is right along the proper lines questioning the ignition system.
I once had an issue where I had a stumble between 3150 and 3300 RPM that I could not get rid of.. I tried different carbs, plugs wires, ignition modules everything but nothing would cure it... It all stemmed from one time my plug wire fell off and it apparently cause damage to my hall effect pickup down in the nose cone.. I tried jetting, I tried changing the ignition timing I tried different plugs I tried everything under sun nothing would work, finally I replaced the pickup in the nose cone and all my problems went away.. Unfortunately you have a complete ignition system down in the nose cone but I think you have the same issue, I think John is right..

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 08-27-2023 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-27-2023 | 03:46 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

I think John is right along the proper lines questioning the ignition system.
I once had an issue where I had a stumble between 3150 and 3300 RPM that I could not get rid of.. I tried different carburetor's, plugs wires, ignition modules, even intake seals, everything but nothing would cure it... It all stemmed from one time my plug wire fell off and I guess it damaged my hall effect pickup down in the nose cone.. I tried jetting I tried changing the ignition timing I tried different plugs I tried everything under sun nothing would work.. Finally I replaced the pickup in the nose cone and all my problems went away.. Unfortunately you have a complete ignition system down in the nose cone but I think you have the same issue, I think John is right..

Last edited by 98hotrodfatboy; 08-27-2023 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2023 | 07:19 AM
Spumoni
|
Cruiser

I've learned never to doubt what John says, even if it doesn't make sense to my novice ears. I will replace the ignition and coil before I make any more jetting changes.

The following 2 users liked this post by Spumoni:
Architect (08-28-2023), flhchaz (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023 | 07:29 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

I've learned never to doubt what John says, even if it doesn't make sense to my novice ears. I will replace the ignition and coil before I make any more jetting changes.
This is hard gained wisdom, good luck. A lot of us here have been down the same road with John, best to follow his direction the first time, but sometimes it takes three times and wasted time and money.

The following 2 users liked this post by Architect:
98hotrodfatboy (08-28-2023), TwiZted Biker (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023 | 08:49 AM
MarkSG
Cruiser

I think the pretty standard jetting on the Super E is .295 and 70.
You have gotten way off from that. Larger in the middle and very small on the main.
Like i mentioned with my plug wire issue, sounds like your chasing your tail with the jetting.
Follow John and clear up any issues with ignition before making any more jetting changes.

The dieseling would usually be a super hot spot in the chamber or ignition still firing.

Old 08-28-2023 | 11:42 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

The left is the one you have we only use the right one as its bearing instead of pin on pin / the coil for what your using has 5 ohms if its a 3 ohms its part of the issue

The following users liked this post:
Architect (08-28-2023)

Quick Reply: Thinking about a NEW rat rod build...